scanner/port problem with old compaq laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightbird

Beta member
Hi, my scanner is doing my head in. Any help would be much appreciated. Apologies in advance for my general cluelessness...

I am using an old compaq presario 1200 laptop running windows XP. I have a second hand scanner that is causing me problems - it is a Canon CanoScan N640p ex. It is connected directly to the LPT1 printer port.

After installing winXP and the relevant drivers, the scanner worked fine, for a bit. However, I had unplugged it and now trying to use it again and it is giving me error messages: if I try to calibrate it says 'Printer port is used by another device' (I have never plugged any other device into that port); when I click 'preview' it gives me an 'out of memory error'.

Things I have tried already -
- uninstalling and reinstalling relevant canoscan driver
- uninstalling and reinstalling LPT1 through device manager (actually I didnt need to reinstall it seemed to do that automatically). (I uninstalled the scanner again as well)
- looking in the BIOS. I read somewhere else I should change the port settings there. Unfortunately there isnt any option about ports. Its a rubbishy BIOS :S
- changing settings in the port properties window in device manager

no effect. Therefore I ask your help... any ideas?
I just don't know why it thinks that port is in use by another device! arg stupid thing

-C

Hi brightbird
I did some googling, and found a guy who seems to have solved the problem:
Scanner error

It seemed he accidentally "disabled a wrong service and stopped the spooler" in the scancraft software.

Hope this helps

Keba

fixed nice and easily - twas the service...

ahh!

Thanks Keba, all fixed!

For future reference, it was a windows service (Print Spooler) that I had set to 'manual' in services.msc for some reason. Once I started it, scanner worked fine. Now set to auto!

Don't know why that didn't come up on my googling... oh well! Had me baffled.

Thanks again
brightbird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom