Samsung Laptop Problem (In need of help)

TechWill

Beta member
Back in June, I bought a $400 Samsung laptop (Series 3). It has been working just fine with just a few minor issues until now. Just a week ago, I closed my laptop, and when I came back and opened it again, the screen would not turn on even though the power light was on. I figured out that to make the screen turn on again, I had to take out the battery and put it back in. Now, every once and a while I will close it then come back and have to do the same thing. Most of the time it will turn on, but just sometimes the problem occurs. I figured it must be a problem with the battery, but before I order a new one, I need to know if it really is the battery or if it could be a problem with the laptop itself. I would also like to know if I could even fix it without having to order anything.

So, the main thing I need to know is: What is causing this problem, and what do I need to fix/replace?
If for some reason the laptop specs are needed, just tell me.

Thanks in advance
-Will

Last edited:
First off, if you go into your laptop's power options, what is the laptop programmed to do when the lid is shut? Sleep or Hibernate?

It sounds like a Sleep or Hibernating issue to me.

I have heard some complaints regarding Samsung laptops doing this. I've done a little research on the issue, and after following Yevrag35's suggestion, your laptop may have a small pinhole by the battery symbol - if you press and hold that for about 10 seconds, I have heard that this resolves the issue.

I have heard some complaints regarding Samsung laptops doing this. I've done a little research on the issue, and after following Yevrag35's suggestion, your laptop may have a small pinhole by the battery symbol - if you press and hold that for about 10 seconds, I have heard that this resolves the issue.
Okay thank you. Next time the problem happens I will try that. I'm glad that I probably won't have to order a part, and being in college, I would like to save as much money as I can.

First off, if you go into your laptop's power options, what is the laptop programmed to do when the lid is shut? Sleep or Hibernate?

It sounds like a Sleep or Hibernating issue to me.
It is set to:
When I press the power button: On battery: Sleep , Plugged in: Sleep
When I close the lid: On battery: Sleep , Plugged in: Sleep
Like I said this problem happens only rarely when I close the lid and come back to it again. I am just worried that this problem will become worse if I don't do anything about it.

Check Event Viewer in the System and Application categories for times before it freezes when you come out of sleep.

I'd also update your chipset/graphics/wireless/ethernet drivers from the manufacturers' websites, not Samsungs. That way you get the newest drivers.

My suggestion would be to do some quick research first on how to open the laptop up and access various hardware such as the motherboard (if you input your exact model number you should be okay). Then find out which wiring is connecting the motherboard to the screen. Make sure that wiring is in place properly (because your problem could be just a loose connection). Once you are sure everything is fastened properly then wait for the problem to persist. If it does persist, replace the battery, if not, you are good to go. Thanks.

My suggestion would be to do some quick research first on how to open the laptop up and access various hardware such as the motherboard (if you input your exact model number you should be okay). Then find out which wiring is connecting the motherboard to the screen. Make sure that wiring is in place properly (because your problem could be just a loose connection). Once you are sure everything is fastened properly then wait for the problem to persist. If it does persist, replace the battery, if not, you are good to go. Thanks.

I doubt it's a loose connection problem since it only happens during Sleep Mode.

Back
Top Bottom