SAMSUNG Factory Restore on New SSD WITHOUT DVD???

Prisonbreak94

In Runtime
Hi guys,

I purchased the Samsung NP700Z7C-S01US just a few days ago. With it I also got a 512GB Crucial SSD, as the hard drive slows the machine down a little bit. When I got the laptop, I noticed that there was a disc labeled SAMSUNG RECOVERY MEDIA so I didn't even think about creating any sort of disc using the Samsung Recovery Solution software.

I went ahead and installed the SSD on to my new laptop and eventually found out that the disc did not contain anything other than a windows 7 install. I am a little frustrated about this because I want to restore to the factory settings which has a bunch of things including microsoft office and a norton antivirus subscription etc. I realise that I can pop the original HDD back into the laptop and create the restore DVD, but I do not want to do this as it was a pain to open up the laptop and I ended up scratching the edges of it. I connected the HDD to my desktop, and the desktop sees the drive just fine, but I cannot boot from it. Is there anything I can do to restore to the factory settings WITHOUT creating a DVD using samsung recovery solution on the original hard disk?

Thanks

There should just be a compartment underneath that you remove one or two screws. It's not big deal. You don't have to open the whole thing to get to it.

There should just be a compartment underneath that you remove one or two screws. It's not big deal. You don't have to open the whole thing to get to it.

Unfortunately that is not the case. I opened the thing up to replace the HDD with the SSD, so I can tell you from experience. But if you want to see for yourself, here's a video of the process. Samsung 7 Intel i7 3615QM Nvidia 650M 17" Laptop SSD & Memory Install by Paul Nelson - YouTube

It was not nice having to do that, and it was harder than it looks on that video, too. I scratched the edges of the laptop doing that so I really don't want to repeat the process. Is there really nothing else I can do? Is it not possible to boot the laptop hdd from my desktop? It's connected just fine and I can even browse the HDD on my desktop, but I tried booting once and it didn't work (going to try again now)...

It won't work on your desktop. You are running on totally different hardware. Windows will say "What is all this, OK I give up." Either BSOD or freeze up. Why not just copy the recovery partition?

It won't work on your desktop. You are running on totally different hardware. Windows will say "What is all this, OK I give up." Either BSOD or freeze up. Why not just copy the recovery partition?

You mean like clone the hard disk? I can't do that without opening the laptop again if I'm not mistaken

You can use Clonezilla and write it to DVD's, or an external. Then apply the image on your laptop. I believe.

Clonezilla is bootable.

You can use Clonezilla and write it to DVD's, or an external. Then apply the image on your laptop. I believe.

Clonezilla is bootable.

I will have a look into that and see what happens. Just to confirm, you're saying that I can use clonezilla on my desktop to clone the laptop HDD image to an external hard drive OR DVD and then connect that external hard drive/DVD to my laptop to then apply the image on to my SSD, is that right?

Thanks

Yes, as long as the total size of the image is less than the size of the SSD, then yes.

Just burn CloneZilla to a DVD, boot off of it, choose to create an image of the drive. Then boot off of clonezilla on your laptop, hook up the external that has your image, and choose to restore an image, and restore it to your SSD.

Yes, as long as the total size of the image is less than the size of the SSD, then yes.

Just burn CloneZilla to a DVD, boot off of it, choose to create an image of the drive. Then boot off of clonezilla on your laptop, hook up the external that has your image, and choose to restore an image, and restore it to your SSD.

Thank you. I'm doing it right now. Hopefully I didn't do anything wrong! I'll be back with feedback soon

Just make sure you don't do a disk-to-disk clone (have had this wreak havoc on a system), and make sure you're making an image of the correct drive. CloneZilla is quite straightforward; I've used it quite often before.

Back
Top Bottom