Running Wireless Card on old lappy with ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

porgorg

Baseband Member
Hi.
I've got a pretty old laptop [Satellite 2800] which I did have XP SP3 running on it with a PLANET WL-3552 Wireless card putting me online.
However it was running really slowly as it only has 192Mb RAM. I was told it could handle XP but it clearly couldn't.

I then put ME as it could handle that but found that I couldn't get the PLANET card to work.
It's an old card too so no driver updates exsist. Searching for the same problem I found this that explains what I'm getting -
The card is shown in the Device Manager with a Yellow exclamation point. When I view the properties, it gives me a "Code 2" which basically states that the NDIS.VXD and NTKERN.VXD device loaders are unable to load the device driver for this device.

ME tries to update but to no avail. Is this a hopeless cause? If that's the case then is there any OS that the laptop could handle like a basic Linux?

You will not be able to find win ME drivers for your card. Even if you could you would not want to run ME anyways. You could try win 2k as there are drivers for that OS if you have a copy.

As for Linux versions, while I am sure there are versions you could run, that is not something I know about. Sorry.

Pretty close. Here are the minimum specs to run it.

Before you install the Windows 2000 Professional desktop operating system, make sure that your computer meets the following minimum system requirements:

* 133 MHz or more Pentium microprocessor (or equivalent). Windows 2000 Professional supports up to two processors on a single computer.
* 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM recommended minimum. 32 MB of RAM is the minimum supported. 4 gigabytes (GB) of RAM is the maximum.
* A 2 GB hard disk that has 650 MB of free space. If you are installing over a network, more free hard disk space is required.
* VGA or higher-resolution monitor.
* Keyboard.
* Mouse or compatible pointing device (optional).

For CD-ROM installation:

* CD drive or DVD drive
* High-density 3.5-inch disk drive, unless your CD drive supports starting the Setup program from a CD

For network installation:

* Windows 2000-compatible network adapter and related cable (See the Hardware Compatibility List (Hcl.txt) in the Support folder on the Windows 2000 Professional CD)
* Access to the network share that contains the Setup files

Okay, put on Win2K. Updated the drivers for it but still the PLANET wireless card isn't working.
All I'm getting is:
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31)

I've uninstalled it a few times but it's still having none of it.

Thanks for the link but then how do I manually install the inf file?

I tried right-clicking and choosing install but it failed.

Oh yeah, it's also asking for a driver for a PCI Simple Communications Controller. Is this in need of a LAN driver so it can operate the Netword card?
I've also tried installing a driver for that but it keeps coming up with problems.

Found out the PCI device was just the modem - :rolleyes: pointless but installed now.

Still haven't managed to get the inf file installed though :confused:

Find the card in device manager when it is plugged in. Should show up as a network adapter with a yellow mark or as a unidentified pcmia card. Right mouse click it and select install or update driver. Click have disk. browse to the location of the inf file and let it install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom