Replacing LCD Screen - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Replacing LCD Screen

I was given an older laptop, an IBM Thinkpad A22m. Everything works but the LCD screen, which is cracked. The battery life on this thing is still really good too, has about 2 hour battery...

Anyway, I was gonna buy a replacement screen off eBay, but I have no idea how to change them... I can't find any guides on the internet... Can anyone show me how to do this?

The kind of LCD screen I was gonna get was this:
IBM THINKPAD A20M A21M A22M 14" LCD Screen Hinges Cable - ( item 260228254444 end time 14-Apr-08 20:01:05 EDT)

Old 04-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!
Default Re: Replacing LCD Screen

search for a disassembling guide for the a22m. see if that turns anything up. if not post here and i'll write something up for you.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I had a site a while ago that showed instructions for another model Thinkpad that had the exact same LCD bezel... However, for the life of me, I cannot find it...

Is it as easy as it seems though? I'm pretty sure I could open the plastic encasement that holds the LCD panel and put the new one in. Other than that, you just have to plug in the inverter and the other cable, right?

The eBay auction comes with the encasement and stuff, but I'm pretty sure it would be easier if I just opened it up and exchanged LCD panels on it.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

See if this does anything for you. They sell/replace lcd panels as well, but what you're getting from ebay is probably cheaper. Instructions for a model similar to your own are likely on this page.

Laptop LCD Removal Instructions
Closed Thread