Replacing laptop hard drive; any hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tropicalpear

Beta member
I have a hp pavillion dv6700 lap top in which the hard drive died a couple months ago. I bought my self a nice desk top but I still want a laptop to bring around and do my homework on and such. Looking around Newegg I see some cheaper hard drives that are not HP and was wondering if my HP laptop would take to those? I dont want to buy the exact replacement for mine because it seems more expensive.

I was wondering if someone knew how to tell if a hard drive would work with any laptop or if there was any definitive way to tell? Also any tips for the whole process would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the hard drive I was thinking of getting: Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Black WD1600BEKT 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Thanks!

If your HDD is a SATA based drive, any SATA 1/2/3 drive will usually work just fine in it. If the laptop uses an IDE drive, you must get an IDE drive (more costly, harder to find).

You do not have to stick to an "hp" branded drive, any brand will work. HP uses Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung, Toshiba (re-branded Samsung or hitachi drives usually), and even Hitachi drives, it just depends on what was available and cheap when they ordered the lot for production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom