Replacing Laptop Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSFord

Baseband Member
I have an older Gateway MT6840 Laptop
Specs at this link: Gateway Support - MT6840 Notebook Specifications

The 160 Gig hard drive is almost full, and I'm looking to replace it, but I know little to nothing about laptop hard drives.

I was Looking at this one
Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Black WD5000BEKT 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I basically just need to know if it would work, and if anyone has any suggestions on something else. im looking for 500Gigs atleast, and around or under $75.

Thanks

that'll work fine. 2 things though, 1, if you're going to replace it with the WD drive, you'll be going from a 5400rpm drive to a 7200rpm drive. that means faster speeds when you're loading your OS or accessing files, but you'll take a hit on your battery life. Not a whole lot, I wouldn't think over 7%-8% but something to think about if you'd prefer battery life over speed. Secondly if you're replacing the drive make sure you back up all your data so you can move it over onto the new drive.

That will work fine. Just keep in mind that 7200rpm drives draw more power than the 5400. Therefore, you lose battery power. But if you are running on AC power all the time, go ahead.

ninja'd

well. considering my battery is fried anyway, thats not a problem lol. If the computers not plugged in, it'll only stay on for 5 mins tops. just what i wanted to know guys, thanks tons =]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom