Removing Vista and installing XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiller.

In Runtime
I have an Acer 4720Z laptop and I was wondering if it's possible to remove Vista and install XP. And if this is possible, how do I go about doing it? Can you use a Windows XP disk on multiple computers? My dad has XP on his computer...I could use his disk and product key to install? Thanks.

You would need to format your hard drive and install xp off of your disks. Does your Dad own xp home or pro?

The problem with installing XP on a laptop that is shipped with Vista is Drivers. If the laptop was made for Vista (has a Vista sticker on it) there's a 99.99999% chance you won't be able to just slap XP in the drive and install it. You will have to mod some ini's and get some third party drivers for you to even get close to it to working.

The other thing you have to worry about is does your BIOS have the ability to run the HDD in compatibility mode? If not, it's going to be that much harder to get XP on there.

All in all, it's not worth it. If you are getting sick of Vista's little pop-ups and incompatibility issues, then try this, it should solve most of your problems:

Open up CMD (Run -> CMD) type in "net user administrator \active:yes"
(without quotes)

Log off, and then log back on with the option that wasn't there before :p

It will solve all your problems with access rights and PunkBuster and many other issues that involve admin access. It made a world of difference on my laptop.

The problem with installing XP on a laptop that is shipped with Vista is Drivers. If the laptop was made for Vista (has a Vista sticker on it) there's a 99.99999% chance you won't be able to just slap XP in the drive and install it. You will have to mod some ini's and get some third party drivers for you to even get close to it to working.

The other thing you have to worry about is does your BIOS have the ability to run the HDD in compatibility mode? If not, it's going to be that much harder to get XP on there.

All in all, it's not worth it. If you are getting sick of Vista's little pop-ups and incompatibility issues, then try this, it should solve most of your problems:

Open up CMD (Run -> CMD) type in "net user administrator \active:yes"
(without quotes)

Log off, and then log back on with the option that wasn't there before :p

It will solve all your problems with access rights and PunkBuster and many other issues that involve admin access. It made a world of difference on my laptop.

I'm having issues with speed and performance while running a game that's 3 years old...will this help with that?

If you're having that ,much trouble with an old game then you didn't fork out enough cash to be able to play it. I'm not some Vista loving freak, but I know it won't degrade game performance.

Vista is becoming better and better, and the more I use it the more I like it and get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom