Regarding Xotic PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2008, 02:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Regarding Xotic PC

Has anyone had any experience purchasing from Xotic PC? Specifically, I'm looking at the Sager models they have there for gaming. Let me know, and, on a semi-related note, does anyone feel the difference between 8600m GT 512mb GDDR2 and 8600m GT 256mb GDDR3 is worth a $400 dollar price difference with a loss of 1 GB of RAM, 40 GB of HDD, and a resolution drop from 1680x1050 to 1440x900. I'm currently leaning towards "no" on that, considering my laptop is needed for things beyond just gaming, but I'm looking for other opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Editing for clarity, the options are the 8600m GT 512mb GDDR2 with 4 GB of RAM, 64 bit OS, 200 GB HDD, and 1680x1050 resolution versus the 8600m GT 256mb GDDR3 at 400 more dollars with only 3 GB of RAM, 32 bit OS, 160 GB HDD, and 1440x900 resolution.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Default Re: Regarding Xotic PC

I've hear good things about Xotic and Sager so I'd givem a thumbs up. I'm not sure about the performance difference between those two card versions but $400 seems very steep to me. I'd err on the cheap side and go with the gddr2 model.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Regarding Xotic PC

Thanks for the reply. There've been good reviews of each of those laptop builds, but, after looking into it a bit more, I don't think I'll be needing any more than the GDDR2. I'll put the $400 dollars towards the upgrade savings a year or two down the road. Or two months.
Closed Thread