Recording Audio from laptop soundcard - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Recording Audio from laptop soundcard

I really had no idea where to go for a question like this, but this site seems quite helpful so I will try here. I hope someone can provide me with some direction.

I have been playing around with a couple of audio programs that are supposed to record audio from any number of sources, such as line in, microphone, audio card, etc. In my case, the source I wanted was the sound card itself. When using my desktop computer (which is now dead) I was able to use a program called AAA Real Recorder, which simply allowed me to click record, and any sound generated by the computer would be recorded. No problem there.

A friend of mine, wanting to record audio as well, tried the same program, and found that all her recordings were blank. We tried a few other programs, including Sound Forge, and Mp3mymp3, and all with the same result. Completely confused, I decided to try the programs again for myself, but had to use my laptop since my desktop lays dead. I discovered that the programs were not seeing any kind of sound card on my system, and were only able to record from the built in mic. I am under the impression that the programs do not see a sound card because the sound device would be built in on a laptop. Is this correct?

If it is (or even if it isn't) does anyone here know of a program that gets around that issue? Or of a way to make the other programs work as I wish? I thought that simply recording the sounds generated by the computer would be easy, but it seems to be quite difficult when using a laptop.

Thank you!

Old 08-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Default Re: Recording Audio from laptop soundcard

What format are you trying to record in ? Wav files ? MP3 ? May have to do with the settings in the software. I know when I do recordings of music, there are a bunch of things that can go wrong at first.

Check your connections, change cables, whatever you have to try to make sure its not the hardware up to the audio input on the computer.

Make sure that the sound card ( or onboard sound) is enabled.

What is she recording ? From a microphone ? Keyboard ? This matters too, I will explain later if you answer that for me please.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you for the reply!

She is trying to record directly from the soundcard. Or put another way, she is trying to record what she is hearing from her speakers. There is no input device used. I do not think she is trying to record one thing specifically, but wants the ability to record small audio clips from various sources on the net. I think mp3 or wav is the format preferred.

The programs we have tried using have a simple record button on the UI, and when it is clicked, the program begins to record, but it is only recording sound from the microphone.
In the options it does not see anything else to choose from. When using my desktop computer and the same program, I was able to choose to record from my mic, or my soundcard etc.

I hope I answered your questions adequately. Please ask me again if I did not.

Thank you again!
Old 08-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Have you tried changing your default recording device to "Stereo Mix"/"What you hear"? On Vista computers you usually have to enable this yourself (In recording options right click the menu and choose "Show disabled devices". If you do not have that option, download the latest audio drivers.
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
Old 08-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

You should be able to use Audacity to do this. It can record "What you hear" as it seems that is what she wants to do. It is at least worth a shot.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried Audacity, and it actually seems to work very well! Thank you both very much for the help!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter1075 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I tried Audacity, and it actually seems to work very well! Thank you both very much for the help!
I was about to suggest the same software.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Closed Thread