Recording Audio from laptop soundcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Specter1075

Beta member
I really had no idea where to go for a question like this, but this site seems quite helpful so I will try here. I hope someone can provide me with some direction.

I have been playing around with a couple of audio programs that are supposed to record audio from any number of sources, such as line in, microphone, audio card, etc. In my case, the source I wanted was the sound card itself. When using my desktop computer (which is now dead) I was able to use a program called AAA Real Recorder, which simply allowed me to click record, and any sound generated by the computer would be recorded. No problem there.

A friend of mine, wanting to record audio as well, tried the same program, and found that all her recordings were blank. We tried a few other programs, including Sound Forge, and Mp3mymp3, and all with the same result. Completely confused, I decided to try the programs again for myself, but had to use my laptop since my desktop lays dead. I discovered that the programs were not seeing any kind of sound card on my system, and were only able to record from the built in mic. I am under the impression that the programs do not see a sound card because the sound device would be built in on a laptop. Is this correct?

If it is (or even if it isn't) does anyone here know of a program that gets around that issue? Or of a way to make the other programs work as I wish? I thought that simply recording the sounds generated by the computer would be easy, but it seems to be quite difficult when using a laptop.

Thank you!

What format are you trying to record in ? Wav files ? MP3 ? May have to do with the settings in the software. I know when I do recordings of music, there are a bunch of things that can go wrong at first.

Check your connections, change cables, whatever you have to try to make sure its not the hardware up to the audio input on the computer.

Make sure that the sound card ( or onboard sound) is enabled.

What is she recording ? From a microphone ? Keyboard ? This matters too, I will explain later if you answer that for me please.

Thank you for the reply!

She is trying to record directly from the soundcard. Or put another way, she is trying to record what she is hearing from her speakers. There is no input device used. I do not think she is trying to record one thing specifically, but wants the ability to record small audio clips from various sources on the net. I think mp3 or wav is the format preferred.

The programs we have tried using have a simple record button on the UI, and when it is clicked, the program begins to record, but it is only recording sound from the microphone.
In the options it does not see anything else to choose from. When using my desktop computer and the same program, I was able to choose to record from my mic, or my soundcard etc.

I hope I answered your questions adequately. Please ask me again if I did not.

Thank you again!

Have you tried changing your default recording device to "Stereo Mix"/"What you hear"? On Vista computers you usually have to enable this yourself (In recording options right click the menu and choose "Show disabled devices". If you do not have that option, download the latest audio drivers.

You should be able to use Audacity to do this. It can record "What you hear" as it seems that is what she wants to do. It is at least worth a shot.

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried Audacity, and it actually seems to work very well! Thank you both very much for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom