Random black rectange appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skorpian

In Runtime
Hi everyone.
New day, new problem with my laptop xD.
Sometimes when I'm moving my cursor a black rectangle appears where the cursor has moved for a sec and then goes away.
I've tried new driver installation as Mak suggested, no success.
I've tried reinstalling Win XP SP3 again, no success.
This problem, as far as I've tested, doesn't occur in ubuntu.
Any ideas why this happens? It's really annoying I can't live with it!
Thanx.
EDIT : System specs
T3100 Celeron Dual core @ 1.9 GHz
SIS672 integrated graphics with 256 MB of shared memory
1 GB of ram ( it shares memory with the VGA so it's 768 MB )
160 GB HDD

Can you possibly get us a picture of this happening?

I think the reason for that is, your RAM is choking up, taking RAM from your gfx card to compensate. Therefore, your gfx is underpreforming, causing glitches.

It's hard to capture it as it appears for just a sec and goes away but I'll try.
That happens when I'm running the slightest stuff nothing hard is running. I was planning to add one more 1 GB Ram Stick anyways. I just hope the laptop won't have to be opened up completely.

Okay I'll try to get an extra 1 GB of RAM on it soon. I got a quick question though, do the rams need to be identical? Or I just need 1 GB DDR2 667 Mhz to match mines?
Also, I saw someone with Sis mirage 3 graphics card ( like mine ) with 384 MB of shared memory not 256 MB. He had 2 GB RAM and was on windows 7. Will adding an extra RAM allow adding up more shared memory? Because I believe more shared memory = better gaming experience.
Thanks,
Skorpian

You need the RAM to be close as possible to your existing RAM. It will default to your lowest RAM, speed, timings, etc. For laptops, I wouldn't worry about it.

I believe you can change how much memory is used. I'm unsure, though. I never had to worry about it.

Is it necessary the very same brand?
Also, IDK how to change shared memory, does anyone have an idea? My bios is pretty basic, only " clock " , " boot-up sequence " and Password. Other than that, it has nothing which my PC bios has. I read that I have to go to integrated something to change that but I couldn't find it. Is there any third party app to increase the shared memory?

It is recommended to get the same brand. Not the law.

I believe that is set in BIOS. But as yours is crapped, I don't think you can do anything. Anyone else?

Okay mind changed. It might not be the RAM after all. It could be that of bad windows format. I wanna try to use Gparted ( downing the ISO ) but I'm very confused with Mak's tut.
If anyone could simplify it to me, that'd be awesome. I just want to format the C partition ( I have on hdd only, 160 GB hdd ) and then take out the Gparted disk, install XP, done!
Thanks,
Skorpian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom