ram upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

erkster

In Runtime
hey,i was looking at getting a new desktop,but i'm afraid i'll have to wait a bit,and get more use out of my laptop before i can justify getting an entirely new rig,but what i was wondering if in the mean time if upgraded my ram,would it make a big difference?
right now my lappy(in my spec)is really starting to slow down(mostly from older files and what not that i'll need in the future) .

so i was wondering,if i were to upgrade the ram to this:

Newegg.ca - Patriot 4GB (2 x 2GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model PSD34G1066SK - Laptop Memory

if i would notice a big difference.

also is there any set up required for upgrading ram or is it just plug and play?

and also on a side note,whats the main difference in DDR2 and DDR3??i really don't know much about parts like these.

ty

yes, but even if you upgraded RAM, I seriously doubt you are going to feel any change

I don't know exactly what you think your laptop is lacking (gaming?)
but a SSD would be a wonderful upgrade, and you can use a SSD in your new computer down the road also

trying to optimize it for WoW,how much would a SSD(solid state drive correct??) help with playing WoW??compared to other upgrads?

and are you talking like a USB SDD,or one thats actually installed?
tyvm

for gaming, the video card is the most important component.
so, a Solid State Drive would not help at all
since you have a laptop, it's way harder to replace the video card
you're pretty much stuck with what you have now

SSD's just improve load times pretty much. Amazing when you run your OS off of one, big improvements.

As for games though I don't think there'd be a difference other then load times.

EDIT: Ninja'd :p

What laptop model do you have?
It's hard to replace the video card, but not impossible.

With some laptop models, (Namely Thinkpads) you can buy a new system board with a better GPU and swap it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom