RAM Speed on Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liamando

Solid State Member
Hey everyone, I was told thw standard RAM speed for laptops was DDR2
667MHz.

I've just found a neat Samsung laptop, 2ghz processor, 4gb RAM, and DDR3 RAM 1066MHz. (17" screen), for £649.

Is DDR3 1066~MHz RAM a high standard?

I also noted that Processor Bus usually is the same as the RAM speed- are they the same thing? Because I saw a HP DV7 on Comet earlier, which doesn't give you the RAM speed, but stated it's processor bus was 1066MHz.

Thanks

RAM speeds on laptops are generally much slower than desktops. Too much power, heat, and cost associated with cramming all of that power into a two inch piece of hardware.

So generally speaking yes they are much slower. I wouldn't go as far as to say 667 is standard - as standards change every year. If you can find one with a faster bus speed get it.

Yes 1066 i believe is pretty high for laptops from what i've seen, and if you can get one for that price (depending on the other specs) i would go for it.

Huh. Well that's pretty impressive. I looked around a little and I can't find anything faster. The DDR2 standard for laptops is 667, They don't make faster ddr2. I guess ddr3 is the next step cause that's quite a speed increase.

Processor bus can definitely be different than the ram speed. The speed of the ram can limit the processor because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom