quick question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default quick question

I didn't know if i should start a new thread about this, but earlier this week someone recommended me this labtop: Newegg.com - ASUS UL80 Series UL80JT-A2 Notebook w/ NVIDIA Optimus Intel Core i3 330UM(1.20GHz) 14" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 310M+Intel GMA HD

However, I talked it over with my friend and he(lenovo freak) told me to get this labtop: Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Z560 (0914-4HU) NoteBook Intel Core i3 380M(2.53GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce 310M which has a bigger screen and faster cpu in exchange for the crazy battery life on the asus

Can I get an explanation as to which one I should get?

May I remind to those to keep in mind that I am more interested in gaming and will use my labtop for other programs occasionally for college.

Many thanks.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: quick question

Pros and cons of what i've seen:
Asus: Better graphics card with HD (they say they are the same model but one says HD), gigabit Ethernet capable, longer batter life - almost double
Lenovo: Larger screen at 15.6, faster processor

So if you want more portability, get the asus - with a smaller screen and a little less horse power you get almost double the battery life. If you aren't going to be traveling much and 4 hours is good enough battery life for you get the Lenovo, it has a larger screen and faster processor (which is why the battery life isn't as good). Everything else seems identical (dedicated graphic cards, 500gb drives, etc).

-Vista SME
Old 06-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: quick question

Yeah, my labtop will pretty much be stationary. But will the difference in graphics be huge or hardly noticeable at all? Like for running games like SC2 or LoL on high.
Closed Thread