Quick Help: Intel Celeron M 420 (1.6 GHz) processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zabak80

Baseband Member
How does a Intel Celeron M420 1.6 processor compare performance wise to an Atom 1.6?

How old are these processors generally?

Are they good enough for everyday tasks and low-end graphic design programs?

Hello,

Though I'm not certain, I would think the Mobile Intel Celeron M 420 performs [marginally] better since it has 1MB L2 cache compared to the Intel Atom N270's 512KB L2 cache.

Do you have a laptop in mind? If so, what is your budget? A Mobile Intel Celeron processor equipped laptop is likely going to have low end integrated graphics, and together, they probably won't give you good performance for graphics design tasks. However, surfing the net, word processing, listening to music etc. would be okay.

I guess I am asking because there is a cheap Lenovo 3000 c200 which the guy says has a 1.6 celeron.

Selling for around $200.

Worth it?

$200 sounds good to me. It'll be fine performance-wise as long as you're looking at more basic tasks like internet and word processing. Any serious gaming is out of the question but you could play some older stuff or more low end games.

I think the Celeron would beat out the Atom in performance, but not by a lot. The Atom is going to be much more energy efficient, that's where it's true benefit is.

main difference between these chips is the die size the celeron M being 65nm and the atom being 45nm.

45nm keep alot cooler that 65nm and offer more performance per watt saving battery time.

In benchmarks the atom is faster, this is due to the fact that the atom cannot run x86-64 code but insted is design to simplify the code. This processor also is design to prevent instruction reordering, speculative execution, or register renaming. Saving processing time.

Notebookcheck: Mobile Processors - Benchmarklist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom