Question Regarding CPU and GPU temperatures - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-10-2015, 04:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
Default Question Regarding CPU and GPU temperatures

Hello,

I currently own a MSI GS60 Notebook with an i7 Processor and GTX 860M Graphics Card. I'm not really tech savy but wanted to get some clarity on what are safe temperatures for my laptop while gaming.

A bit of information, I only play World of Warcraft, and I play it pretty heavily on the weekends I can play for about 6-8 hours a day and sometimes play upwards of 4 hours without a session. I've been keeping track of my laptops temperatures, and they seem to sit at around 65-78 c.

My question is, is this a safe and acceptable temperature for my laptop? I use the balanced power scheme and also have it hooked up to a Zalman notebook cooler, I also try not to have too many application open when I play wow and keep to the necessary application as well as WoW and Ventrillo.

Thanks.
__________________

Zethremar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
rulezero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,685
Default Re: Question Regarding CPU and GPU temperatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethremar View Post
Hello,

I currently own a MSI GS60 Notebook with an i7 Processor and GTX 860M Graphics Card. I'm not really tech savy but wanted to get some clarity on what are safe temperatures for my laptop while gaming.

A bit of information, I only play World of Warcraft, and I play it pretty heavily on the weekends I can play for about 6-8 hours a day and sometimes play upwards of 4 hours without a session. I've been keeping track of my laptops temperatures, and they seem to sit at around 65-78 c.

My question is, is this a safe and acceptable temperature for my laptop? I use the balanced power scheme and also have it hooked up to a Zalman notebook cooler, I also try not to have too many application open when I play wow and keep to the necessary application as well as WoW and Ventrillo.

Thanks.
I would say 78c is at a point where you need to start cooling it down, if it is hot where you are then that could play a part in it, but going over 80 is getting bad... not sure what others think..
__________________

__________________
Don't like what I say, ban me!
rulezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
objecterror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 731
Default Re: Question Regarding CPU and GPU temperatures

Right on with i2D__

What model i7 is in your notebook ? Do you know the temperatures at idle? You can find out by sitting the laptop in a room with medium temperature then boot up and without running any other programs watch the temperature readings for 30 minutes or so.
__________________
"After it's all said and done, more will be said than done." -- Quote by Somebody

Steam @ objecterror
objecterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,508
Default Re: Question Regarding CPU and GPU temperatures

Nah..those temps are fine. Laptops are meant to run hotter.

My GT70 sits at around the same temps while gaming with the fan set to auto.

If those temps are while you're not gaming though...then there's a bit more of an issue. But for temps while gaming...nothing you need to worry about.
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
rulezero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,685
Default Re: Question Regarding CPU and GPU temperatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Nah..those temps are fine. Laptops are meant to run hotter.

My GT70 sits at around the same temps while gaming with the fan set to auto.

If those temps are while you're not gaming though...then there's a bit more of an issue. But for temps while gaming...nothing you need to worry about.
Of course the temps will go very high while gaming but doesn't mean its ok, heat wears components ofc as we all know, i'd buy a extension fan to cool it even more if you are using it as a gaming laptop.
__________________
Don't like what I say, ban me!
rulezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,508
Default Re: Question Regarding CPU and GPU temperatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2D__ View Post
Of course the temps will go very high while gaming but doesn't mean its ok, heat wears components ofc as we all know, i'd buy a extension fan to cool it even more if you are using it as a gaming laptop.
Like I said, laptop components are built to withstand more heat, especially gaming ones.

Even then, CPU's thermal limits are closer to 90-100*C, and GPU's are over 100*C.

75*C is just fine, 80* is fine for a GPU - getting a bit warm for CPU. OP never mentioned what the temps were specific for.

Just need to make sure to keep the vents clean - and if it's getting too warm, repasting the CPU/GPU is generally recommended. It can drop temps 5-10*C if you use good paste.

Owned 3 gaming laptops so far - all have run about the same. First 1 (an Asus G73jh) ran quite hot and needed elevate it and put a desk fan blowing air under it if I was playing a really intense game. Next one (MSI GT780DX) ran cooler, but required me to turn the "turbo" fan mode on to keep it at a manageable temp (75-80*C for GPU, CPU was around 65-70*C while gaming at least). Current one (GT70 2oc, in sig), is a bit cooler than the GT780DX and the auto-fan control works much better at managing the temps. Runs 75-80*C for GPU while gaming - CPU is around 65-70*C I believe.

So, again, the temps are pretty well within acceptable range if that's during gaming. Blowing out the vents and repasting could help drop temps somewhat, as well as using a cooling pad - doesn't look like the GS60 has the "CoolerBooster" fan control that the GT70 series does like I have.
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
rulezero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,685
Default Re: Question Regarding CPU and GPU temperatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Like I said, laptop components are built to withstand more heat, especially gaming ones.

Even then, CPU's thermal limits are closer to 90-100*C, and GPU's are over 100*C.

75*C is just fine, 80* is fine for a GPU - getting a bit warm for CPU. OP never mentioned what the temps were specific for.

Just need to make sure to keep the vents clean - and if it's getting too warm, repasting the CPU/GPU is generally recommended. It can drop temps 5-10*C if you use good paste.

Owned 3 gaming laptops so far - all have run about the same. First 1 (an Asus G73jh) ran quite hot and needed elevate it and put a desk fan blowing air under it if I was playing a really intense game. Next one (MSI GT780DX) ran cooler, but required me to turn the "turbo" fan mode on to keep it at a manageable temp (75-80*C for GPU, CPU was around 65-70*C while gaming at least). Current one (GT70 2oc, in sig), is a bit cooler than the GT780DX and the auto-fan control works much better at managing the temps. Runs 75-80*C for GPU while gaming - CPU is around 65-70*C I believe.

So, again, the temps are pretty well within acceptable range if that's during gaming. Blowing out the vents and repasting could help drop temps somewhat, as well as using a cooling pad - doesn't look like the GS60 has the "CoolerBooster" fan control that the GT70 series does like I have.
Ok so based on Carnages XP, to answer the OP - Dont worry temps are fine
__________________
Don't like what I say, ban me!
rulezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,508
Default Re: Question Regarding CPU and GPU temperatures

To expand, IMO it'd be an issue if you're having performance issues due to the heat - stuttering, artifacting, etc.
__________________

__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Acceptable GPU Temperatures? AngryNerd Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 5 07-12-2012 02:33 PM
3 CPU Temperatures... 2 cores 1 CPU? commandercup Overclocking and Modding 9 03-13-2008 01:05 PM
Any software to monitor the cpu/gpu temperatures? Cyber.Logan New Systems | Building and Buying 26 06-05-2007 02:51 PM
GPU Core Temperatures mastercheif1231 System Upgrades 9 03-09-2006 02:36 PM
Monitoring GPU temperatures Mr_Threepwood Overclocking and Modding 0 01-11-2006 09:42 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.