Question about my laptop tear down

pat_ai2009

In Runtime
Friend of mines laptop would turn off after 10 or so minutes of being on so I offered to look at it.. It's a low end 2010 model so it would cost more than what it's worth to have a experienced tech look at it.

Right away I could tell there was a over heating issue I could almost really burn my self if I left my hand on the Bottom where the processor is for to long.. Took it all apart expecting the heatsink fan to be crazy clogged up jamming up the fan and such.. But it was actually pretty clean.. I took the old thermal paste off and applied new on cpu/gpu.. Only thing is the fan seemed like it dragged when I manually spun it. Put it back together and still it shuts down after ten or so minute's.. Realized after that the fan isn't even kicking on when I turn the laptop on. It's supposed to right or only when it gets to a certain temp.. Thinking maybe she has a faulty fan.. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Part two.. During the tear down this ribbon cable I sort of cracked the clip that holds it in.. Now only the escape which gets me startup options works and f1 and f2..bios is if f10 which I need to get into it.. So weird why would only some keys work and not the others.. Should be all or nothing I would figure... Mouse pad works fine.. uploadfromtaptalk1455383999151.jpguploadfromtaptalk1455384015626.jpg

For the fan...I'd just measure it and see if you can find a generic replacement of the same size. If not, then check eBay for that specific laptop model for a fan replacement and see how much it costs. Assume it would be fairly cheap since it's a 2010 model.

As for the ribbon cable clip...can you tape it down securely and everything work?

Yea that's a good idea I'll measure it and see if I can find a replacement.. But aren't the fans supposed to spin up once the laptop is started?

The ribbon cable does connect back in and like I said the escape button works f1 and f2 but f10 gets me into bios which doesn't work.. Mouse pad works.. Can't log into the computer cause there's a Windows error making me reinstall a new copy.. But I have to set the boot order to USB which I can't do 😑

Doesn't make sense tho.. That black piece that broke off is just like a locking mechanism and also so the pins don't touch each other I think I at least.. So it should work... And it's so odd that some keys work and some don't

Yea that's a good idea I'll measure it and see if I can find a replacement.. But aren't the fans supposed to spin up once the laptop is started?
Depends on the laptop - if the BIOS is set to spin it up when it starts it will - other's I've seen it doesn't spin up until a specific temp is reached.

The ribbon cable does connect back in and like I said the escape button works f1 and f2 but f10 gets me into bios which doesn't work.. Mouse pad works.. Can't log into the computer cause there's a Windows error making me reinstall a new copy.. But I have to set the boot order to USB which I can't do 😑

Can you not get to the temp boot menu, rather than full BIOS menu?

I was able to put that black piece back on.. And bam.. Now f10 works and I'm able to get into bios.. Now I'm going to try and find fan speed or fan settings in here somewhere

f19ca91f5e2babd9f4411471f4d8410b.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1455389862856.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1455389862856.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 2
  • uploadfromtaptalk1455389916020.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1455389916020.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 2
Must be some connections on the black piece as well for it to not work.

Also, F9 in your screenshot is what I was talking about before - the temp boot menu.

Back
Top Bottom