Purchasing a Laptop for College

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclones

In Runtime
Hello Everyone,

I will be purchasing a laptop here in the next year for college.

Ive been looking around at some and I like the HP's the most because of their design and stylish.

These are the things I want in a laptop:

15'' or higher monitor
2GB of RAM or Higher
Good Processor
200GB or better Hard Drive
DVD Rom/Writer/Burner
WIFI with Wireless N

Mainly be using it for research (internet), email, productivity, photos, video, email, instant messaging and the basic stuff like that.

Anyone have recommendations for me?

Thanks!

If you're thinking HP, you're thinking great! I got a new dv9700t laptop for college and it's awesome.
My configuration:
17" 1680x1050 BrightView LCD
Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5 GHz, 6 MB L2)
250GB hard drive
3 GB DDR2 SDRAM
nVidia GeForce 8600M GS 512MB
Integrated fingerprint reader, webcam, and stereo microphone
HDMI, VGA, and S-Video output
Windows Vista Ultimate 64
HP ExpressCard HDTV Digital/Analog Tuner and Media Center Remote

I really like this laptop. The screen is incredible and it can play most games at decent to high settings. Battery life is good and the PC is very well designed. I like HP's "Radiance" finish that they put on the top of the laptop and on the inside by the touchpad. My configuration came to around $1800 before tax.

I still love my Dell Inspiron 1501. Runs great and even folds well.

I think a 17" screen is perfect for a laptop. It's large enough to enjoy movies and games but isn't too large that it becomes a pain to carry. My dv9700t's T9300 is fast enough for serious folding and video editing.

He didn't list games as something he would need. Plus he can get a very similar setup as yours from Acer on Newegg for only $1000.

I think he would be best with a 15.4" screen, a 2-2.2GHz processor, 3GB of RAM, Vista Home Premium, and anything from a GeForce 7900 to 8400 should be plenty for him.

Sounds like you guys have some good laptops! I wont need to be gaming at all! Is there any good laptops under $1000? My parents will most likly be buying one and they dont want to spend a fortune. I think a 15'' would be a good size screen. Ill be doing alot of taking pictures with my digital camera and some editing, so I want a good screen and resolution. Also, memory is a big thing to me. I like to run programs that use alot of it and my desktop here at home has a 1gb and 512mb and it still sucks! Hmm.. Are more suggestions? Would it better be to buy direct from HP or from a sub site?

Thanks for the replies!

I would check the prices. HP may have a better deal than some sites cause you are getting it direct.

You can get a dv9700t with a T5550 and a lower resolution screen for under 1000, or you can get a dv6000 series (looks like dv9000 but 15") cheaper with a faster CPU.

Hmm. Choices Choices.. Well I found out that my work has a Dell Program where I can get a discounted laptop through them. So im not sure about a dell or a HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom