Pros needed!! Finding lost files?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Pros needed!! Finding lost files??

Hello everyone,

Long ago i would receive emails with excel files, at which point i would open them and view them on my desk top. I believe i even saved a few of the important ones. I went back a few days ago to check for them (they were sent over 8 months ago) and in my email they were gone. As if they were deleted over time or i must of done it by accident. I visited my download folder and the files are not there either cause i must of cleared my download folder too. (face palm).

So i'm stumped really. I just have been spending time using the search feature and such but no luck finding them. I can't recall if this is correct but doesn't the hard rive have a separate reserve to hold ghost files?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Pros needed!! Finding lost files??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjranger View Post
Hello everyone,

Long ago i would receive emails with excel files, at which point i would open them and view them on my desk top. I believe i even saved a few of the important ones. I went back a few days ago to check for them (they were sent over 8 months ago) and in my email they were gone. As if they were deleted over time or i must of done it by accident. I visited my download folder and the files are not there either cause i must of cleared my download folder too. (face palm).

So i'm stumped really. I just have been spending time using the search feature and such but no luck finding them. I can't recall if this is correct but doesn't the hard rive have a separate reserve to hold ghost files?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Only if you setup the previous versions of files. Even then, if you delete the file, the file is marked on the drive to be overwritten.

How long ago exactly were the files deleted? If it's been a long time... then it's highly unlikely you'll be able to get them back.

You can try to get it back with tools such as Recuva, but once a file is deleted, it's not actually "deleted" right away. It is just marked as able to overwritten by the OS. Once the OS overwrites the data... you won't be able to recover it.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 05-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Only if you setup the previous versions of files. Even then, if you delete the file, the file is marked on the drive to be overwritten.

How long ago exactly were the files deleted? If it's been a long time... then it's highly unlikely you'll be able to get them back.

You can try to get it back with tools such as Recuva, but once a file is deleted, it's not actually "deleted" right away. It is just marked as able to overwritten by the OS. Once the OS overwrites the data... you won't be able to recover it.
To be accurate, it's been about 5 months...so hmmm...i'm downloading recuva so i'm gonna give it a try. Thank you for the quick reply, i will update once i can give any feedback!
Old 05-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Ghost

Uh mate if it's been 5 months I think I would just give up straight away unless of course you haven't made ANY new files since then but that is doubtful.........
Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Let him try, Luke. There's no harm in trying.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjranger View Post
To be accurate, it's been about 5 months...so hmmm...i'm downloading recuva so i'm gonna give it a try. Thank you for the quick reply, i will update once i can give any feedback!
If using Recuva, you may want to try using the Deep Scan mode then, if it's been that long. It will take a lot longer to scan, but you may be able to recover some of the files if you're lucky.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 05-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Ghost

Okay but the chances of finding those files are rather slim. I am only trying to present the facts and the truth however if you do find those files I will personally give you a +1 for effort!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke127 View Post
Okay but the chances of finding those files are rather slim. I am only trying to present the facts and the truth however if you do find those files I will personally give you a +1 for effort!
I've mentioned that, but if he still wishes to try and attempt to recover them, we should let him do it, as it won't cause any harm.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
Let him try, Luke. There's no harm in trying.
I FOUND IT!!! I was up till 2:30am...did a deep scan and found it...even though it's been 5 months. I found thousands of excel files and i clicked on about 50 of them...about the 15th file i opened it and sure as crap it was there.

You guys have no idea what you just helped me do. You saved me thousands of dollars and a headache! I'd tell the story if you guys care...but it's a long one...and now that i found the file...a damn good one!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Glad you got it sorted, mate! Recuva can do wonders.