Processor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Rulez

Solid State Member
Hey all,

So I bought an Asus notebook a day ago and although it's a great notebook, I realized after that it has a "Pentium dual-core", thinking that this was "Core2 Duo". After doing a quick browse on the store's website, I found that they have a very similar notebook but it costs $220 more. Here are the specs of each notebook:

The notebook I bought:

Asus K70IO-C1 w/ Pentium Dual-core T4200, 4GB, 250GB, DVD+/-RW, 17.3in HD+, GeForce GT 120M, Vista Home Premium

Price paid: $899 CDN

The other notebook they have:

Asus K70IO-B1-BIL w/ Core 2 Duo T6500, 4GB, 320GB, DVD+/-RW, 17.3in HD+, GeForce GT 120M, Vista Home Premium

Price: $1120 CDN

Basically, I have 7 days to make a return or exchange so I want to know if it's worth going back and exchanging the notebook I bought for the more expensive notebook with a bigger HD and a Core2 Duo processor?

Thanks in advance.

Both are dual core, just sometimes they don't say core 2 duo. I don't know why that is, but there is no 'dual-core' pentium processor. It is just simply a core 2 duo. It is just marketing.

You are paying that extra money for a processor that is better quality, faster, and has more cache.

THis website explained it pretty well:
Core 2 Duo Vs Pentium Dual Core Expertester

Passmark benchmarks

MWSnap01111-05-09.jpg

MWSnap01011-05-09.jpg

I agree, a 20% increase in cost for 10% more speed. My 2 cents is - that same laptop would run faster on Windows7 vs. the Vista Home Edition.

Both are dual core, just sometimes they don't say core 2 duo. I don't know why that is, but there is no 'dual-core' pentium processor. It is just simply a core 2 duo. It is just marketing.

Yes. Some time they do that for marketing, and other times they do that because the person running the shop does not know any better. My first boss was alway insisting that I would quote a Celeron Based computer as a Pentium Celeron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom