Problematic Laptop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dubai
Posts: 166
Default Problematic Laptop

I was given a post of IT administrator on 2 sites, but an old laptop. Sometimes the wifi doesn't work(showing acquiring address) and sometimes it works. I thought it was an AP issue. But since yesterday, the RJ45 port couldn't acquire IP address too! I did the cabling troubleshooting plus re-installing the driver, but I couldn't get it to work.

Do you think it's physical thing or reinstalling Win XP can do?
__________________

aimo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Bregadon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arizona,USA
Posts: 122
Default Re: Problematic Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimo3 View Post
I was given a post of IT administrator on 2 sites, but an old laptop. Sometimes the wifi doesn't work(showing acquiring address) and sometimes it works. I thought it was an AP issue. But since yesterday, the RJ45 port couldn't acquire IP address too! I did the cabling troubleshooting plus re-installing the driver, but I couldn't get it to work.

Do you think it's physical thing or reinstalling Win XP can do?
If re installing Windows is no trouble for you, I would say give it a try. But it could be something went bad on the chip set itself.
__________________

__________________
AMD Phenom x4 965BE@4Ghz /SLI GTX 260 / TPower N750 / 5GB
Bregadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
MillField's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 604
Default Re: Problematic Laptop

Yep I agree with the above post. If it is no issue to you then attempt a re-install.
__________________

Apple MacBook Pro || 750GB || 8GB RAM || 2.9 GHz i7
Apple iPhone 8 || 64GB || Black
Apple iPad Air 2 || 64GB || Black
Sony Playstation 3 || 60GB || 2007 Model
Microsoft Xbox 360 || 20GB || 2009 Model
Sony PSP || 8GB || 2005 Model
MillField is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dubai
Posts: 166
Default Re: Problematic Laptop

I've reinstalled Win XP and downloaded the drivers starting from the chipset driver. At home I was able to connect with both the wifi and rj45, but in the office, the former never worked so far, and the latter worked for a couple of seconds and then died!

Now they both show limited connectivity.
aimo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 77
Default Re: Problematic Laptop

How long did you remain connected at home with each network interface, and did you perform any sort of diagnostics while connected to make sure everything was copacetic? As far as the office goes, so WiFi never works and the RJ45 dies almost immediately? Does your network assign the laptop an IP when you connect it (if only for a few seconds) and have you tried manually configuring the IP? I would suggest doing some basic pings with the RJ45 at work, start with the interface, 127.0.0.1, then try a router and finally the internet. Have you tried different cables/jacks as well? Only other thing I can think of, install wireshark and capture the packets to see how far along the communication gets before it dies. Hope one of these works, keep us updated. - Rube
RubeSmench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dubai
Posts: 166
Default Re: Problematic Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubeSmench View Post
How long did you remain connected at home with each network interface, and did you perform any sort of diagnostics while connected to make sure everything was copacetic?
At home is was perfect. I use the internet to download drivers and and applications access to this laptop from my personal laptop. First I used rj45 for couple of hours and then switched to wireless for a longer time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubeSmench View Post
As far as the office goes, so WiFi never works and the RJ45 dies almost immediately? Does your network assign the laptop an IP when you connect it (if only for a few seconds) and have you tried manually configuring the IP?
That's a good idea. I assigned static addresses to both and they are working now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubeSmench View Post
I would suggest doing some basic pings with the RJ45 at work, start with the interface, 127.0.0.1, then try a router and finally the internet. Have you tried different cables/jacks as well?
I did the basic homework before opening this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubeSmench View Post
Only other thing I can think of, install wireshark and capture the packets to see how far along the communication gets before it dies. Hope one of these works, keep us updated. - Rube
Thanks rube.
aimo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 77
Default Re: Problematic Laptop

Glad the static IP idea worked. However, if you are interested in looking further into the problem, I would start with the wireshark. I am not familiar with what the DHCP requests should look like, but you could collect sample packets from a working machine and compare to what the laptop is sending/receiving. Also, you said the laptop was working with internet connection prior to this at work? Maybe your IT department implemented some sort of a MAC address filter for security reasons to prevent outsiders from connecting to the network. - Rube
RubeSmench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dubai
Posts: 166
Default Re: Problematic Laptop

I have this test report from Wireshark. Could you advise about it?
Attached Files
File Type: zip test.zip (19.9 KB, 0 views)
__________________

aimo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.