Problem using Acer Recovery CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

squashynose

Beta member
So I've got this laptop from a friend, and Windows XP is pretty much pooped on it. I've got 4 CDs, one System CD and 3 Recovery CDs. All unopened.

I boot from the System CD, and it asks for the other three, one at a time. After the 3rd CD, it asks for another, "SCD Disk 1" or something, and I assume it's the original CD again, the System CD. But when I put that it, it starts over again, wiping the drive and asking for the other 3 CDs.

I don't know what to do!!

Anyone have an idea? Anyone successfully used the Recovery CDs? I'm pulling my hair out here!!

Thanks in advance

Hello,

When it asks for 'SCD Disc 1', try inserting the 1st recovery disc (note: not the system disc) and see if it works. Post back.

Anyone have an idea? Anyone successfully used the Recovery CDs? I'm pulling my hair out here!!

Acer Recovery CDs in my books have a bad habit of not working.

If you have a windows cd that you can use. This copy need to be the same version that is on your notebook. Just use the OEM Number that is on the bottom of the notebook when windows installation askes for it.

Then after windows as fininshed installing, go to the Acer Europe Website and download the drivers from there.

Reason I suggest the EU website is that they drivers there are most up todate and they have all models coveed. I have found lots of problems and missing or old files on other Acer websites.

Just one of the many reasons I can't stand Acers. Even their recovery discs have a habit of not working. You have a better chance of cloning yourself if you try to get a replacement set from Acer US support.

KC is right on about the EU website, Europe is a bigger market for them and the drivers on there (for whatever reason) are more plentiful and kept up to date better than the US site.

Just one of the many reasons I can't stand Acers. Even their recovery discs have a habit of not working. You have a better chance of cloning yourself if you try to get a replacement set from Acer US support.
I have seem some acer ecovery cds from acer that requires you to use the Acer Empowering Software. Therefore, if your operating system is still working, then you can use your recovery discs. Otherwise, you are stuffed.

You can imagine the phone conversation that I had with that support rep on that issue.
KC :- So what you are telling me that if my I can still boot into windows and use the acer recovery tool, then I can re-install windows.
Acer :- Yes
KC :- What if the hard drive has crash?
Acer :- Then you will not be able to use the acer recovery tool.
KC :- (facepalm.jpg)

I can't say I've seen that but sweet lord almighty!!!! That is a lot of fail, really defeats the purpose lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom