problem resuming windows vista after laptop being idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

24kobe

Beta member
I bought a brand new Sony Vaio VGN-SR35G laptop just few months back. Initially had no problems with it. Always i'll put some downloads and leave my laptop idle during nights. For the past week, my laptop hangs if left idle. Now it has become too frequent, even if it's left for only about an hour. I have changed the settings to 'do nothing when lid is closed' and also i set the HardDisk to stay up. This should put my system UP for as long as i want to. But then even after these changes have been made, the problem still occurs. After i left it idle, and try to use it again the desktop actually seem to appear just fine (it doesn't appear as black,it actually appears just as it is) but when i try to access any application it'll start to hang. I can't even access the task manager, all I'm left to do is to manually shutdown the system. Could anyone please help me with this? I know this is probably a known issue,some would might respond by updating the graphics and so..but is that really the case?or is this an OS (Windows Vista) issue?

Hey there,

Nope i only allow hibernation when my battery becomes low,which is not applicable with my problem cause i use the AC power. Hibernation shuts down the system right?in my case it doesn't shut down, it still pretty much looks the same when i open the lid. but then when i start clicking start menu or running any program it'll start to hang.

post a screen shot of your "Customize" window (like when you right-click and go to "properties") and also go into your Power Options....

it sounds like it loses something... windows is terrible about standby/idle/hibernate. it breaks things, and it's no good.

I'm sorry but i tried attaching an image here, but i don't know how to. Umm, my settings are basically set to 'do nothing' for closing the lid option, i chose not to turn off the Hard Disk, and i also checked 'never' for the sleep option. i guess these are the settings I'm concerned about regarding my problem. Did i miss anything?please let me know. By any chance could this possibly be an application problem of some sort?

hmmm.... it'd difficult to know without actually "seeing" what's breaking. Since it just started up it very well could be a Windows Update (they tend to break things. Here at the office we call them Windows Breakdowns)

Well i am aware that some of the windows update patches or whatsoever sometimes would not might work..but then my updates are done manually, my pc doesn't automatically starts and runs updates.do you think reformatting the whole system would help resolve the problem?ive only got a coupla GB's of data to back up,its gonna be easy.

To post Screenshots on forums go to Photobucket.com

-Create an account
-Upload your photo
-Press the attach photo button and it will tell you to enter a link
-copy the link from photobucket (HTML)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom