Problem with Dell Axim X50v

Status
Not open for further replies.

masjana.liza

Beta member
So a few days ago, I sat my Axim into a cradle to charge. After a few hours, I noticed that it wasn't yet charged (when it usually is by then) and upon closer inspection I discovered that the charging light was flickering, instead of the solid red/green that it usually is. When I tried to start it up, it would pwer on for a few seconds, then say "Main battery critically low" and shut down. Of note, while it was on, the charge light would turn off. After it shut down, the light would go back on. I put it on a different cradle (the one I was using was a 3rd party one as my Dell one broke, but is still semi-usuable, so I put it on the Dell one) where it charged fine. When I tried to start it up again, it just hangs on the "Dell" logo screen. If I take out the battery (the only way to shut it off) and turn it on again, I get a message: A memory error has been deteced...etc...I was wondering if there is any way I can get my data off of it without losing it altogether, seeing as I'd rather not lose all of that data...

I spoke to Dell tech support (not that they were much help) but the woman did give me the number to PDASmart, and said something that they might be able to help me, I think.

Dell support won't help, as Dell has dropped the PDA line completely. My cradle also broke (the plug that connects to the Axim got ripped off the board when I pulled the PDA too hard) but I eventually repaired it with some super glue and a soldering iron. The issue sounds like it may be either a faulty battery or a faulty cradle. If it charges fine in one cradle and doesn't charge right in another, that indicates that the cradle may be bad. Before you go off and buy yet another cradle, try repairing your first ones.

To repair a plug on a cradle, I opened it up by taking out the screws, then removed the small board. If the plug has been separated from the board, take the plug (the thing that goes into the Axim) and put some glue on the backside of it. Then stick it back to the board. Don't let the glue get on the metal contacts though. Take a hot soldering iron (shouldn't need solder on it, there's already some on the contacts) and press it firmly on the pins. As long as there's no solder on the iron, the pins won't get soldered together, just to the board. Now, take it to your PC, plug in the USB, and see if your Axim is recognized/receiving power. If it is, good, reassemble the cradle, else heat the pads some more. Repeat until it works. That's how I fixed mine.

If it still doesn't work, then it's a battery issue.

About the memory error thing. I get this too. Sadly, I don't think there's a way to recover your data, but you can save the PDA. You can try pressing the button that allows you to perform a factory restore, if that fails, start the PDA pressing Power + Record + Wireless. This allows you to perform a factory restore. If that fails, then use the Dell utility to flash a new ROM image on to your PDA.

And, if you have the X50v, I recommend updating to Windows Mobile 6. There's an unofficial ROM going around that puts WM6 on your X50v, and the shiny new OS is MUCH nicer than Windows Mobile 2003 and runs nice, new stuff. Just google WM6 Axim X50v and you'll find it. You will need to flash your Axim up to Windows Mobile 5 first, but it's well documented on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom