problem with a compaq preasario on start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

RanmaNeo37

Beta member
Okay. I'm a tech, working on a client's computer. I've seen similar stuff, but I don't remember how to fix the problem, and hopefully I won't have to go hunting for a new screen for this **** thing.

The problem is, once I get the laptop charged enough, I then press the power button. The POST for windows comes up, then the screen kind of... shimmers, would be the word, I guess, and then it quits and fails. Afterward, I try to hard boot and restart, and it dfoesn't want to turn off or restart. unplug power and battery, so that I canturn the power off. Plug it back into the ac adapter and put the battery back in, and try to immediately start it up again. the processor light flashes, then :p Nothing.

I'm unsure if this is a software or hardware problem, though I was unable to find a problem with the ram, nothing physically wrong with the hard drive, and the screen, before it shimmers and dies, is bright and crisp. Also, if I wait ten minutes, it's the same crap all over again. Can anyone give me some leads? because I was unable to fi9nd anything on google. Help would be most graciously appreciated. Thank you.

Stats on the laptop

Compaq Presario F560US Notebook PC
Microprocessor 1.8 GHz Mobile AMD Sempron â„¢ Processor 3500+
Microprocessor Cache 512 KB L2 Cache
Memory 512 MB DDR2 System Memory (1 Dimm)
Memory Max Up to 2 GB DDR2
Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150
Video Memory Up to 128 MB
Hard Drive 80 GB (5400 RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)
Multimedia Drive Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Display 15.4" WXGA High-Definition Brightview Widescreen (1280 X 800) Display
unable to even get to bios settings because of screen problems
possibly a virus, maybe the screen itself, but i want some opinions before i continue.
Thank you for your help, in advance.

FYI - POST is a BIOS function, not Windows.

Did you try resetting BIOS?
Is your screen's backlight flickering? Shine a flashlight at the screen. If you see anything on the screen, that is your problem.
At what point does it go out during POST?

I didn't try resetting the bios, and it does get past the POST. It's as it's restarting Vista that it shimmers and dies. Then it's a pain in the *** to try and restart. I'm also able to get into the BIOS itsel with no problems. I seriously think it's a virus, now that I'm reviewing the problem online. But I'm unable to check at the moment, because the client forgot to give me her power cord. going to try and use a BartPE first, to scan it, then if it's verified, I'm going to format and install XP Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom