power jack, losing connection..

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewjustforyou

In Runtime
slowly but surely my power jack connection has getting more and more touchy, today its come to me draping the power cable across the computer in order to pin it in the right spot.

well, Im wondering how hard it would be to diagnose/fix this problem, I remember taking my computer in under warrenty, the girl behind me had the same problem 250+ dollar fix, am I doomed to shelf this computer (HP 4000 series) because of poorness? or can i fix it myself?

thanks

have you ever tried using a different cable?

it might be the end of your cable.

inspect your pins in where you plug in your cable to make sure none are bent or broken.

ah! ty for interest.

power cable comes from wall, goes to converter, goes to computer, where it attaches to the computer the cable is a female connector, that fully inserts into the computer (so its a hollowed out male). basicly it has no obvious cables to be bent, except inside the computer. Inside the computer there is a single pin, but when i thumb around with that it doest seem to be loose at all.

However, good suggestion about the alternate power source, i will pull out my old cable (it got chewed through (and broke the ground connection) by a cat, but I can make it work by short-grounding it) and see if it works better.

the reason i think it is computer side (as opposed to cable side) is it has been dropped a few times (thank you girlfriend), and that side is beginning to show a LITTLE (very little) physical wear.

thank you so much for your interest!

no prob sometimes people just blow over it because they think its a noob question. well their not gona get any better if u dont help them. so i tend to answer the small questions due to some of my missing knowlege on the more current parts out like hte 9800 GTX tis to **** confusing for me.

if you have a spare powersupply crack open your old case and pull out the old one and put the new one in and see if it keep happening.

and what i mean by bent pins is like this, The pins inside the PSU where you plug the cable into may be bent or may be loose from pluging in and unpluging frequently or violently.

PSU.png

ummm, hey man, this is a laptop, Im not sure about case cracking, the powersupply is external, maybe you should go back to researching that 9800 GTX, i hear its an awesome piece.

(joking)

One of my HPaqs (Presario V2000Z) had a power jack issue. I thought the jack had become unsoldered, and that it was going to be a pain to fix. But it turned out to be the very end of the power cord that had a loose connection.

HP has been using the same exact power supply model for about 5 years now on their Compaq and HP lines, so it's very possible your power supply is the same model as mine and may have the same defect. I called HP and they next-day shipped me a new power supply (with only about 2 weeks left on my warranty).

It's nearly impossible to tell whether it's the power jack or the power supply without a second power supply to test it with (I used one from a newer HP).

If it's not the power cord, and if you know how to solder, it should be a very easy fix once you disassemble the notebook (which will probably be most difficult). There are a few possible causes for the failure however:

1) Solder points have broke and become disconnected. (simple solder job fix, no need for replacement parts)
2) Metal connectors have broke where it connects to motherboard. (you will need a replacement DC jack part, remove the old one, and solder on a new one)
3) Metal connectors inside the jack have broke. (same fix as 2)
4) Metal ring on which solder is applied has come off the board. (very difficult if not impossible to fix, time to get a new motherboard).

Since HP uses the same DC jack part on almost all their notebooks, you shouldn't have a problem finding a replacement part. I expect it's the same part number for all their modern notebooks.

Most places that charge $250+ for this type of repair don't bother soldering. They just order a replacement board. Very wasteful and lazy, since this type of repair job is fairly easy once you have the laptop disassembled.

If you have never opened a laptop before: Don't lose your screws. If you have a laptop with different sized screws, don't forget what screw goes where. (I usually take a piece of paper or cardboard, and draw a diagram of the bottom of the notebook, and then punch the screws through the cardboard where it goes on the diagram- that way I don't lose my screws and I know what screw goes where. Once I'm inside, I get another piece of cardboard and draw a diagram of the inside screw locations, and punch those screws where they go).

The worst laptop manufacturer is Gateway as far as screw sizes. HP and Dell are OK, only a few different sizes and easy to remember. Asus (particularly the EeePC) is a joy to work with since it only uses a single screw size for EVERYTHING.

Anyway, you should be able to break the laptop down to the motherboard. If you can't solder and don't know any friends/family that can, take the motherboard in to a small electronics repair shop in your area. Hand them the motherboard and the replacement jack. They should be able to see the problem and fix it for a reasonable fee, probably right there on the spot.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom