Is It Possible To Change The Soundcard In A Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairuza

Baseband Member
Hello,

Is it possible to upgrade the sound card in my Toshiba Satellite A30?

Onboard, it has Realtek AC97 Sound. I'm used to listening through solid state, so I'm not sure if digital is the right way at all, for a person who appreciates finesse and sound fidelity. But if upgrading the soundcard will make a marked difference I could live with, whilst out of the sitting room, then perhaps it's worth a try?

First though, I need to know if these things have components that can be changed at all, otherwise, the question of improvement is null & void.

Thanks,

F x

You should be able to find a PCMCIA sound card.

I honestly am not sure how well they perform, though.

Thanks Brinson. ****, I had to look up "Personal Computer Memory Card International Association". But at least the search led me to some pictures of laptop components, thus offering hope...

F x

Haha, in the PC world, you hardly need to know what acronyms actually stand for. :p

PCMCIA Cards are just cards that slide into a slot in the side of a Laptop. The disadvantage being that laptops only have one (or at least all I've seen).

You may be better off with a USB one. I don't know. A PCMCIA one will fit into your laptop, rather than hang off, but will probably be cheaper.

Some USB ones on Newegg: Newegg.com - USB, Sound Cards, Sound Cards & MIDI Devices, Computer Hardware

Some PCMCIA ones I found on a froogle search: PCMCIA sound card - Google Product Search

The pcmcia ones I just looked at seem to be quite expensive. More convenient than usb, sure, but I think they're being largely phased out. A nice USB sound card for your laptop won't be too spendy and will deliver very good quality. But as far as I know you'll have to use external speakers or headphones, I don't think they'll play over your laptop's built-in speakers. Same goes for pcmcia/express slot sound cards as well.

Language infractions, eh? There is no such thing as bad language. Only bad use of good language. :D

Well, no, I don't want anything hanging out of (or slotting into) the side... I have a wireless network card taking up the space already. If the soundcard can't be replaced, then there's no point. What I'm interested in, is changing the internal sound card.

F x

It is unlikely your laptop HAS an internal sound card.

All laptops I've ever opened up the sound was built onto the motherboard.

Yep and his will be no different. It's just standard onboard audio. So in your case it's USB or sticking with AC97.

Oh. No, I don't want things hanging out of it. I only have two USB ports and they're already full. I won't stick with the laptop, either. In time, I'll get rid of it and get a better one. (I'll probably have thrown it out of the window by next week, anyhow).

f x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom