Plugged in, Not charging on Dell Studio 15 laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

iTalkTek

Beta member
I had vista, and got this problem. I upgraded to Windows 7, still have it. I've tried a new battery, and charger. Still persists. I've flashed my bios. Nothing works. I don't know what else to do! Any suggestions?

It sounds like its a power jack issue. Yup after all you've done thats pretty much what Id bet the money on.

if your handy and trust yourself, order a matching one online and swap them out. but be carefull, my toshiba's just had a plug that I pulled and replaced, in some cases they're soldered right to the power board.

If you don't want to repair yourself, check if its still under warranty, if it is deal with dell, if not find a local authorized dell repair shop (for the love of god not best buy or a big chain, find a small repair shop). it will probably run you about 60-100 for the repair, but they will most likely use a better part than was stock and it wont corrode as fast.

Thank you! :) I really hope its just the power jack. ive been told it could be the WHOLE MOTHERBOARD, the whole thing.. like.. i was scared. thanks :) hopefully it wont be too much.. if its over 200 id rather just wait and get a new laptop.

Most if not all manufacturer's will not solder a motherboard and will suggest replacing it. The only people that usually solder parts are either local tech companies or people at home.

yes this is something that can be done by yourself if you are tech-literate and have some free time. There are tones of tutorials online regarding how to do it. Essentially it entails you taking the ENTIRE laptop apart, getting the old solder off the part with soldering braid or something similar. ONce that is complete you take the part out and clean the connections (or replace the part if it is damaged). Once that is done you solder it back into place.

I've done it about 6 times on my PC and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom