Please Help with Laptop Battery

SubliminalX7

In Runtime
Hello guys,

My Boss has a Lenova Thinkpad 510 and his issue puzzles me. His old battery took a crap on him and he had recently purchased a new battery. The old battery before it died was able to hold a charge. He is using the same power adapter as he was using for the old battery which lasted quite a while according to him.

So if he is using the same adapter, and a new battery (the old one did hold a charge before it died) do you suppose this could be an issue with the MoBo? If it is plugged in (with new battery) it stays on just fine but once he unplugs the machine it just dies (turns off).

I can't imagine it being the adapter or power port on laptop...

Is there a calibration setting for batteries?

Is the new battery an official Lenovo-branded one, or a cheap Chinese knock-off?

It's possible that it's a bad battery as well. Does Windows show the battery is charging when it's plugged in?

It's possible that it's the power brick - if the brick/adapter is a lower-end/weaker one, it's possible that it's not putting out enough power to power the laptop as well as charge it, especially during actual work.

No, there isn't a calibration or memory effect for Li-Ion batteries.

Is the new battery an official Lenovo-branded one, or a cheap Chinese knock-off?

It's possible that it's a bad battery as well. Does Windows show the battery is charging when it's plugged in?

It's possible that it's the power brick - if the brick/adapter is a lower-end/weaker one, it's possible that it's not putting out enough power to power the laptop as well as charge it, especially during actual work.

No, there isn't a calibration or memory effect for Li-Ion batteries.

Yes it is all manufactured by Lenova. It's the same adapter that used to work for his old battery, but maybe his old battery went bad because of the adapter going bad lol That's hard to test when the machine isn't in front of me.

I did read up that there is firmware available to get rid of those kinds of issues at:
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht003431

And it says that the model is supported.

I'm going to try this first of course, but yeah I think if that fails its probably the adapter.

Back
Top Bottom