Performance Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capteone

Beta member
Hey everyone, this site & the forums have been extremely helpful thus far so thank you all!

Just wanted to get your advice for which of these you believe would get better performance for Gaming & some of your reasons why:

SYSTEM 1: HP Pavilion dv6t Series
O/S: Windows 7
Processor: Intel Core i3-330M Dual Core processor (2.13GHz, 3MB L2 Cache)
Memory: 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard Drive: 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
GFX Card: 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 320M

SYSTEM 2: HP Pavilion dv6z Series
O/S: Windows 7
Processor:
AMD Athlon II Dual-Core Processor for Notebook PCs M320 (2.1GHz, 1MB L2 Cache)

Memory: 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard Drive: 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
GFX Card: 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

Also if you think there is something critical that should get upgraded on either please let me know.

Assuming they're the same price, I would go for the i3 one.
They both have a decent amount of RAM, doesn't really need to be upgraded.
And this is only personal preference, but I'd get a 500GB drive as well to upgrade them.

+!+ UPDATED HELP NEEDED +!+

Thank you for the help so far! It's been extremely helpful as I am searching. I now find myself in the dilemma between the below 2 computers:

Again keep up with the great advice, I included the prices I am able to get each for. And if you didn't read the first post, I am of course concerned with gaming.

System 1 - HP Pavilion dv7t series
Price: $850
Hard Drive: 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
GFX Card: 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 320M - For i3, i5 and i7-620QM Processors
17.3" Screen
=============================================
System 2 - HP Pavilion dv6t Quad Edition series
Price: $977
Processor: Intel Core i7-720QM Quad Core processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz
GFX Card: 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 320M - For i7 Processors
15.6" Screen

+!+ UPDATED HELP NEEDED +!+

Thank you for the help so far! It's been extremely helpful as I am searching. I now find myself in the dilemma between the below 2 computers:

Again keep up with the great advice, I included the prices I am able to get each for. And if you didn't read the first post, I am of course concerned with gaming.

System 1 - HP Pavilion dv7t series
Price: $850
GFX Card: 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 320M - For i3, i5 and i7-620QM Processors
17.3" Screen
=============================================
System 2 - HP Pavilion dv6t Quad Edition series
Price: $977
Processor: Intel Core i7-720QM Quad Core processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz
GFX Card: 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 320M - For i7 Processors
15.6" Screen

You give up a little screen size with the second laptop, but as you have probably guessed, it would indeed do better than the first in gaming performance, because of that amazing turbo boost up to 2.8Ghz for games coded for single cores.

In newer games where multiple cores are needed it would probably also outperform the i3 in the first laptop, due to having 4 cores over the first laptop's 2.

If it was me personally though, I would pick the first laptop for the cheaper price and the increased screen real estate, as the overall gaming performance difference wouldn't be tremendous because they have the same GPU.

btw just curious have you considered other laptops as well?
And what sort of warranties come with these HP laptops?

I have considered other laptops, currently I am comfortable with HP's as the one I am using now is an HP which has run great (despite having Vista). Also, I am able to get a 15% discount from HP.com's website (even after rebates) which has had me leaning towards them as well.

The warranty from what I understand is 1yr, they obviously sell 2 & 3yr ones (around $200-$300 more).

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5740G-6979 NoteBook Intel Core i5 430M(2.26GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 - Laptops / Notebooks

This would beat all of them in gaming performance.

5650 > GT 320M

And the i5 - 430m beats the i3 - 330m because it has turbo boost, where as the i3 - 330 does not.

Using your 15% discount the i3 - 330 laptop you picked out would cost you $722.50
So it's cheaper than this laptop too, by about $80.

But keep in mind with this Acer you get a 5650 and i5 - 430m
Two pretty major upgrades for a measly $80

Is Acer regarded as reliable? I am not familiar with that brand at all.

Also, is the laptop that you posted new? or open box? I was unable to determine on my own. Thanks!!

Is Acer regarded as reliable? I am not familiar with that brand at all.

Also, is the laptop that you posted new? or open box? I was unable to determine on my own. Thanks!!

It's new.
Acer is regarded as reliable for netbooks, I'm not 100% sure on their laptops, but it's not like some Chinese brand that popped up over night or something, if that's what you're wondering.
Acer's been around for a while.

The only thing I would be against buying with Acer's name on it, would be their monitors.
Acer monitors sometimes suffer from extreme light bleed, color distortion, and lack of quality, I've heard their netbooks are amazing though, and I'm sure their laptops aren't much different from their netbooks.

(I don't think Acer manufactures their monitor panels, they just buy them bottom barrel from the cheapest seller and couple them with the cheapest backlighting setups they can find. Resulting in very cheap monitors... With the cost of occasional EXTREME LIGHT BLEED.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom