Pavilion CPU Compatibility - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Pavilion CPU Compatibility

Originally Posted by Lexluethar View Post
Sounds like the fan that cools the CPU is dead. If the CPU was truely dead it would do nothing at turn-on. It wouldn't get past the POST screen before beeping at you and then turning back off.

If you can turn it on and use it for any period of time then something else is the issue. More than likely a heat issue. Within a laptop it is unlikely you can 'feel' any heat just because of the processor itself. The heat you are feeling is from the fan blowing the hot air away from the processor. Since you aren't feeling that it leads me to believe the fan is either dirty or dead. Spray air into the fan sockets and openings of the laptop and see if that helps.
(I look everywhere for an Edit button...hmmm)

Yeah, you were completely right. I should have known better than to check the heat of the air flow coming from the CPU fan with my clammy palms :freak:..of course it's gonna feel cold! The old thermal pad on the heatsink was worn away quite a bit and I think I may have tightened the heatsink down more than I should have. A little Arctic Silver 5 (the size of half a grain of rice) some scrubbing with a coffee filter and a readjustment of the heatsink and she's running perfectly. Thank you everyone for your help!

Old 10-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Pavilion CPU Compatibility

Glad we could help.

-Vista SME
Closed Thread