Overheating problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dookdook

Beta member
Hi all, I'm new here - infact I don't think I've ever posted on a forum before, so if I do something wrong please let me know!

Anyway I'll get straight to the point. I was given a laptop last week which someone had sat for a long time because it used to have a problem with it of the screen going black. Anyway I switched it on, had it running fine, formatted it, put a copy of windows back on it and all was going well.

I installed updates onto it and when it came to the point of rebooting it froze with a black screen and wouldn't post.

So I completely stripped it down, reseated the CPU with some new paste and completely blasted everything with my air compressor.

I put it all back together and it worked just fine. It worked for a few days.

Anyway I've narrowed it all down what the problem is. When the computer is literally turned off - or rebooted, it will not allow the system to start until the system is cool. I've been taking my compressor and putting it under the fan and blasting the crap out of it until it's all cool inside. Once I've done that it will allow it to run.

The thing is although it's running hot (GPU 65oC Idle, CPU 40oC idle) it's not rediculously hot to the point where it shoudln't turn on. I'm assuming the GPU is the problem here, and those things would normally go up to 100oC without turning themselves off.

Anybody have any idea what I can do about this? My next plan was to order a new thermal pad, but as that'll take a few days to arrive I wanted to know if there was a way around it. The temperature of the GPU isn't causing any problems when the systems on - no hang ups, no freezing, it never turns itself off or anything like that - it runs perfectly fine. It's just getting it to start that's the problem.

I was thinking there might have been a setting in the BIOS that allowed me to change the threshold at which it will boot - but there's nothing there. I also updated to the latest BIOS.

The system is a Compaq Presillio F504EU - The GPU is an Nvidia Geforce 6100 GO.

Thanks a lot for any heads up you guys can give.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom