Overheating laptop?

chanchan05

In Runtime
Hi guys, need some help.

My laptop (HP dm4 1125tx) seems to have heating problems but not so sure about it. The idling temperatures is fine, usually going between 45-55C. Considering that I am in a tropical country (usual temp according to Accuweather is from 25-33C, RealFeel ranging from 30-40C depending on current humidity) and that I recently moved to a new apartment with no AC yet, those temperatures seem fine. However, doing even a very small amount of activity spikes the temperatures. Right now I only have Chrome running actively, 3 tabs on this forum, and temperatures are spiking up and dropping down intermittenty between 60-98C. I'm a bit worried as that is very close to the TjMax. However I am a bit confused as idling temps are normal, so it appears that so far the cooling system works. I also currently am using a cooling fan under my laptop. I'm not very knowledgeable about hardware, but the only thing I can think of is maybe the thermal paste needs replacing? Just need advice if my guess is correct. I'll just have this taken to the shop and have it done if that's the case. I mean does this say that the hardware is fine or is there something saying that I should prepare for hardware issues?

I would start by checking the vents on the bottom and sides of the laptop to ensure they are free of dust & lint that may be clogging them. Ensure the fan is operational. If that looks good, I would then open up the laptop and check that the fan shroud and heatsink are free of dust and lint. Replacing the thermal paste is pretty much a last resort.

I've had the laptop since Jan 2011, and well, I've been pretty much having it opened up and cleaned in the shop once a year. Last time I had it opened up was April.

The fan works. I can feel the air blowing out of the side vent. Although now that I check it, it seems weak, and it seems you are right in it maybe being clogged with dust. Been pretty dusty these past couple of months since there's a construction going across the street from my building.

So basically, it's advisable that I have the laptop opened up?

Back
Top Bottom