overheating issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exarchice

Baseband Member
I have an Asus notebook G1S series gaming laptop ASUS G1S X1 Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz T7200<br>GeForce 8600 GT Gaming Laptop (the only link i could find with the exact specs of mine), which is about 2 years old now. I payed roughly $2,000 for the laptop + another $500 for the warranty(which im going to use here pretty soon, but not sure if they can/will fix my overheating issues. some of my keys have actually partially melted + the face for the dvd drive got too hot and melted itself off, aswell as my f4 key being totally useless due to the little push thingy being completely melted)

the specs on the laptop are:
Geforce 9600M GT(256mb)
core 2 duo @ 2 gigs
86.4gig hd(on the c drive) (cant figure out how to use the other 57.6g on the D drive)
2gig ram
windows vista home-premium 32bit

after my laptop runs for about 30minutes it gets extremely hot, this problem started about 6mo ago. i literately cannot even sit my computer on my lap, otherwise it burns the crap out of me. i have tried using different types of laptop portable tables and none of them work. the first one i had was made of some kind of soft foam material(bad idea, it just absorbs the heat and recycles it back to the laptop) the second one i tried had little vents in it(worked good for about 2 months till it got too hot itself and ended up snapping in 2) and then finally i tried the one with the fan in it(doesnt seem to help any)

so is there anything i can do? im thinking one of my fans are out, ive took apart the laptop and the cpu fan works, but im not sure if there are other fans in here, also this pc used to be quiet when i first got it, now it just sounds like a monster.

You should have handed it in to get repaired a while ago. If the actual keys are melting, and it's too hot to even rest on your lap they will repair it. Something is definitely wrong there.

They shouldn't be able to charge you for that either, if they do try make sure you don't pay anything. Just don't mention that you took it apart, most places don't like you doing that. And I'd back up any important stuff you have on the hdd before handing it in.

You should have handed it in to get repaired a while ago. If the actual keys are melting, and it's too hot to even rest on your lap they will repair it. Something is definitely wrong there.

They shouldn't be able to charge you for that either, if they do try make sure you don't pay anything. Just don't mention that you took it apart, most places don't like you doing that. And I'd back up any important stuff you have on the hdd before handing it in.

ya, i dont plan on mentioning i took the whole laptop apart. so there is pretty much nothing i can do myself? atleast without spending money? the only reason ive held off on turning it in is because it will take atleast 2 weeks to get back to me and im pretty much a computer addict. (no desktop atm, once i get my tax money back im building me a really nice rig, and going to let the wife just have this laptop, but i want it to be fixed up for her)

now do you think they could end up reformatting my HDD? i have nothing on this machine im too worried about losing. i have some pics(got them stored on a cd tho) some music(nothing i cant re DL, i usually use winamp tho for my music over my stored music, the stored music here is only used for uploading music to my phone) a few games(can always get the back) and firefox(gotta have it) so ya pretty much everything i have i can get back with no problems at all.

ok i just installed CPUID Hardware Monitor and here are the results i got (keep in mind this is just from browsing the web and not doing gaming like i usually do, this laptop gets way hotter when doing gaming)

temp picture by sirquan - Photobucket
200degrees F, that is just ridiculous, and thats with the little fan lap desk thing.

yep, that's running WAY to hot, especially if it isn't even under full load. In my opinion, it'll be worth your while waiting the 2 weeks.

yep, that's running WAY to hot, especially if it isn't even under full load. In my opinion, it'll be worth your while waiting the 2 weeks.

guess ill turn it in next month when ill be at ft brag for 3 weeks

it just sucks i cant do anything about it myself. i might play some darkfall sometime this week just to test the temps while running that game, its probably about 250F or so

That is insane with the heat issues, you could change the BIOS to default if that makes any difference but i doubt it. Its most likely a faulty hardware and ASUS should replace it w/o charge, interesting though.

That is insane with the heat issues, you could change the BIOS to default if that makes any difference but i doubt it. Its most likely a faulty hardware and ASUS should replace it w/o charge, interesting though.

the bios on this mobo are total and utter crap, i cannot even adjust the fan speed... there isnt much i can do with these bios at all except change the speaker volume lol... sad thing is im serious :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom