Overclocking my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
I know overclocking a laptop is generally just regarded as impossible, mostly because the options required to OC aren't included in the BIOS.
But I was just thinking that it should be possible if there was a modded BIOS available to flash?
I have an MSI A6200 which includes an i5 430m, which according to Wikipedia includes a graphics core on the die (or that's what I gathered, anyway). Would increasing the core speed also increase the GPU speed? Or is that included in the "uncore" speed?
As you can probably see I'm a little confused, but on the right track I hope.

Heat is going to be your problem. While you can download programs which will allow you to do some overclocking, laptops are not designed to disperse the extra heat created.

Yes, I'm aware that overclocking increases heat output by the processor.
Any additional thoughts or suggestions pertaining to my OP?

edit: What are the programs you're referring to? My only option is to do bus speed increase since I'm sure 19x is the highest allowable multiplier on my model of CPU. I know there are programs that allow you to tweak the multiplier, and I don't think that's quite what I'm after. It was my understanding that to manipulate the bus speed, you have to do it in the BIOS.

No, it would not increase the GPU speed.

As you already know, laptops don't include bios's with these features because the heatsink and cooling system of a laptop isn't designed for any more heat. Most laptops suck at cooling off what they have out of the box.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried out the overclock app you linked and according to CPU-z, the app seemed to have no effect. I was really looking for a BIOS flash, if such a thing existed.
Anyway, thanks again for the opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom