OS lap top OPTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have found going back and forth between my moms laptop with xp and my desktop with vista ultimate xp feels like a down grade.

To me XP is old tech, it was originally released late 2001 and stuff has moved on a lot. I know the service packs have changed things but now Vista has SP1 it's a fantastic OS.

THX GUYS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT ON THIS
i saw some 1 had posted a support thingy from gate way im gonna try .
BUT i will try to learn VISTA . IM so use to xp ive grown to like it alot

THX AGAIN GUYS HEY STEVE IF U C THIS WHEN U COMING BACK TO LOBBY TO PLAY A2

There is no real "learning" with Vista. That is IMO one of the best parts of the OS. It is EXTREMELY similar to XP and and the same feel as XP - just with a lot of additions and security upgrades. Seriously just try Vista I really think once you try it you won't go back to XP.

The ONLY reason at this point downgrade to XP is a hardware requirement or legacy program.

Apart from DirectX 10, what does Vista do, in terms of actual functional capability, that XP doesn't?
There are a lot of functions that Vista does, while the major gamer or high knowledge tech may not use EVERYDAY users like grandpa and grandma, or your parents would get the most use out of the new functions:

-UAC, again if you think it is annoying just turn the freaking thing off - but for everyday users it is a great security tool
-WIndows defender
-Parental controls (one of the best features IMO)
-New search index (now you can download for XP but originally came w/ Vista)
-Enhanced security features
-WIndows mail is a lot better than outlook express
-Gadgets (useful ones are very nice to have)
-Can autoassign IP addresses if DHCP is not available
-Updating is a lot easier, you can stop updates, pause updates, hide updates you don't want to download, and you can rollback most non-major updates
-With the new backup functions, you can now make an entire image of your hard drive
-When installing over an old windows OS it will keep your windows folder in windows.old so if you have a program or driver issue you can pull the needed files from the old OS
-Ability to troubleshoot some VERY SIMPLE network issues
-BitLocker
-Windows Meeting Space (another great tool)
-Sync Center

Shall i continue?

So while most hard core users won't use half of the stuff listed above, the average use definately will, or it will at least make the average users life much easier. Half of the stuff above would have to be purchased or downloaded.

Again I say Vista should be your first choice when it comes to OS's unless you have a hardware issue (min requirements or drivers not supported) or legacy program conflict.

Apart from DirectX 10, what does Vista do, in terms of actual functional capability, that XP doesn't?

It has better security, had fixes that were built into it rather than through service packs like XP had.

Things are laid out better, IMO, especially in the networking (everything is right there, compared to XP where I had to dig for options at times).

It also has better native support for newer hardware, I've found.

Edit: Lex beat me to it, and then some :laughing:

You are right, you could use most if not all of those functions in XP, you just have to KNOW what do download - something the average user won't know. This is what I was saying, for the true techie Vista may not be the best option, as you can get a lot of the Vista features with 3rd party tools and purchased programs. But if you want the 'all in one' package for grandpa without installing 10 3rd party software programs Vista is a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom