Original Operating System FAILURE - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Original Operating System FAILURE

I was running on windows xp sp3 with a partition of ubuntu linux with an aspire one acer netbook. My windows started having problems, windows explorer kept crashing, my search engines would not come up, and the system would freeze altogether. I've had similar problems in the past but not this bad. I proceeded to restore the operating system to factory settings, but when the system rebooted it wouldn't let me move on to the next page. The problem was so bad it was not letting me get into my partitioned OS either. I eventually wiped the whole drive and put linux on as my default, but I want xp back if I can get it. the problem was not my partitioned OS as I've restored winxp before with no problems. Is there any way I can get xp back without having to purchase it again?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: Original Operating System FAILURE

You can reinstall any version of Windows on a machine as long as it was previously installed and activated on that machine. Meaning that you can use the same serial for the XP install again that you used previously. You wont have to buy it again. But you will have to use the install media to reinstall XP. If the Acer netbook came with XP preinstalled and has the serial sticker on the bottom, you will need a OEM version of XP to use that serial again. If you dont have the media, contact Acer to get it or you can try this page from Microsoft.

If you installed XP yourself you will just need to use the same disk as you did previously.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread