Opening Up A New MSI GX620 Gaming Notebook (56k No No)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
As people might know from my last thread, my new notebook as come yesturday evening.

Sorry about the quality of the pict, I only had my camera phone at the time.

Specs are as follows :-
MSI GX620 Gaming Notebook
PROC : Intel Penryn 45nm socket P mobile processor 2.4 GHz
CHIPSET: Intel GM45 + ICH9-M
MEM : 4 GB (2x2GB)DDR2 667/800MHz, Total Mem Slot: 2 x SO-DIMM slots
STORAGE: 320GB Serial ATA HDD
OPTICAL DRIVE: Super Multi DVD Burner
DISPLAY: 15.4-inch WSXGA (1680 x 1050)
WEB CAM: Built-in CMOS Camera 2.0 Mega Pixels
COMMS : Built-in Gigabit LAN + 56K Modem, Wireless LAN
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0 EDR
CARD READER: Card Reader SD/MMC/MS/MS Pro 4-in-1 Card Reader
I/O PORTS: 1 x Express Card; 1 x 15 pin D-Sub
1 x HDMI; 3 x USB 2.0, 1 x MIC-in, 1 x Headphone out
1 x RJ11, 1 x RJ45
GRAPHICS : NVIDIA Geforce 9600M-GT
AUDIO : Realtek ALC888
DIM : 374 (L) x 246 (W) x 26.8-35.5 (H) mm
WEIGHT : 2.54 Kg
SECURITY : Built-in Biometric Fingerprint Sensor
MOUSE : Gaming Mouse
ALL PROFESSIONAL AND GAMING SERIES NOTEBOOK: 2 YEARS INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY

IMAG0165.jpg

For me? What in the box?

IMAG0166.jpg

Taa Daa.....

IMAG0167.jpg

As you can see, this notebook comes with a backpack. It's roomy enough so you can put other items in besides your notebook. However I still see myself using my old Targus Bag instead.

IMAG0168.jpg

On to the important stuff...

IMAG0170.jpg

Peek A Boo....

IMAG0171.jpg

I see you!!

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

As you can see, full keyboard with seperate number pad. So this will suit both WASD and 8462 players.

IMAG0178.jpg

One thing that I am not happy about is that they put a VOID WARRANTY IF REMOVED sticker over the panel for both hard drive and memory.
Then again, this all ready has 320 Gb hard drive. 500Gb laptop drives are still expensive. And there is 4Gb Ram. Considering that 320Gb is still a lot of space for data on the go, I am not going to be needing much more. Pretty much it means that I am going to need to go some thing about a making a file server for every thing else this week end.

IMAG0180.jpg

Let turn it on....

IMAG0181.jpg

Not just another progress bar.
Unlike most other notebook recovery prompts, the MSI give you a slide show of pictures for you look at while it's booting up.

It look me about a 30 minutes for me to go thought the first book up. First thing that I did notice was that my supplier did make a mistake on the specs. The display will got up to 1680 x 1050. Sweet, I like my desktop real-estate.

One thing that did annoy me was the way that Norton Internet Security is forces on you me.
Not only do I get prompt to install Nortons on the second time i boot up, but there is a Desktop Gadget saying "Nortons. Turn it on. Keep it on". This I have removed. However there is also a short cut to Nortons under Vista Welcome Screen.
Norton's was the first thing that got removed.

CD/DVD Burning is Ulead Burn Now 4.5. I will give this program a shot, but I do see myself putting Nero 8 on here later today.

DVD Playpack software is Cyberlink DVD Suit.

IMAG0174.jpg

Now to the assessories.....

IMAG0176.jpg

MSI Gaming mouse. This could prove useful for when I am out gaming. As much as I love my Logitech MX Revolution, there is nothing more annoying that running out of power with a cordless mouse while gaming. This mouse also comes with some weights.

IMAG0184.jpg

One again, MSI is another one of those notebooks companies which expect you to create your own recovery media. I think just about all notebook companies are doing this now days. However MSI is kind enough to give you blank DVD Media so you can burn your recovery disk.

The other thing that i do like is that the recovery disk software will also give you the ability to create an ISO image for your recovery disk. This is good because I would rather store an ISO image on another computer, then burn it off when I need it. Beats me from worrying about 2 DVDs getting scratched.

IMAG0185.jpg

They have even supplied a Jizzmopper (Ummm, I mean) LCD Display Wiper.

I have really had not had time for playing around with this one yet as I was up at the pub selling my old notebook off. (Nothing sus about that. Every one else things down at the pub)

Next Post.... onto some benchmarks.

Very nice. I once bought a MSI motherboard just because it was red.:laughing:
It's still going strong today.

My last two laptops booted right into an Acronis boot CD. I imaged them to an external hard drive. Then I installed fresh copies of whatever OS that came with them. I never knew what junk came pre-installed on them.

That warranty void sticker is BS, they cant legally do that, there was a huge outcry over the one covering the RAM cover on the ASUS EEE and I (and millions of others) emailed them about it and they said that removing it does not infact void the warranty.

PS, nice laptop

Keyboard Cowboy said:
One thing that did annoy me was the way that Norton Internet Security is forces on you me.
Not only do I get prompt to install Nortons on the second time i boot up, but there is a Desktop Gadget saying "Nortons. Turn it on. Keep it on". This I have removed. However there is also a short cut to Nortons under Vista Welcome Screen.
Norton's was the first thing that got removed.
That is why the day I got my laptop I did a reformat and used an oem install disc. I hate the garbage that comes installed with pre-built computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom