open box

chara33

Daemon Poster
Hi Guys,

I was wondering how you guys feel about buying an open box item such as a tablet? They said it was returned after to weeks. When I got home I asked how do I know if it was returned after 2 weeks, was refurbished or used as an in store display and the person on the phone said you dont. I was thinking on buying a open box tablet that is a samsung galaxy tab s for $335.

Would you buy it? What do you think?

thx

I've gotten a few open box things in the past but not anythng of high cost but anyway most open box stuff is some thing someone got thinking it could do a task that it just couldnt handle so they come up with some excuse for a return. With PC's laptops and tablets they are set to factory defaults and checked to make sure it's good but can't legally be sold as new so they mak it as open box. If you get it just make sure everything works and no broken ports or charge jack and you should be good, Just make sure YOU can return it if it does have a defect they missed when inspecting it.

Dauntae

If its cheap, or I plan to modify the hardware/ product myself then I will.

I will never buy an open box gift, or high priced item. It has to be new.

But like Dauntae says, It cant be sold as new if its been used / or was a display.

If your unsure, or change your mind, return it. If you think they'll get difficult, find an issue with it, or say the battery doesn't last as long as specified (thats my excuse) as no device lasts the time it says on the spec sheet lool.

I say - Ive charged it, not even used it long and disabled everything on it, dimmed brightness etc and batteries gone in X amount of time so it doesnt last Y as stated.... I want a refund. :cool:

Last edited:
As long as the store will allow return or exchange, same as a new one, and it comes with the full mfr's warranty, then you really don't have any risk. If it works 100%, you got yourself a bargain, if not, return it and all you lost is some time.

As somebody who works at Best Buy in the Geek Squad, I can tell you that anything that the stores sell as Open Box have been purchased and then returned for whatever reason and examined by Geek Squad. If it's not working, we don't sell it. If there's anything wrong with it or any parts are missing, you know about it up front and the discount is bigger on the item as well. Displays are sold open box, but you should be told it's a display.

Personally, I will buy an open box over new in box every time. Mainly because I know it's been checked out but also because you pay less for it. Still get the warrant of 1 year (or whatever the warranty is for the product) from the date of YOUR purchase and all the other good stuff.

As somebody who works at Best Buy in the Geek Squad, I can tell you that anything that the stores sell as Open Box have been purchased and then returned for whatever reason and examined by Geek Squad. If it's not working, we don't sell it. If there's anything wrong with it or any parts are missing, you know about it up front and the discount is bigger on the item as well. Displays are sold open box, but you should be told it's a display.

Personally, I will buy an open box over new in box every time. Mainly because I know it's been checked out but also because you pay less for it. Still get the warrant of 1 year (or whatever the warranty is for the product) from the date of YOUR purchase and all the other good stuff.

Good to know this info. Thx for passing it along.

No problem. You would be surprised how many folks buy a big television and either A) their wife tells them hell no or B) they find it's too big for what they need and bring it back. Then it's sold open box and hasn't even been used but once. And if it gets a scratch on it? There's an even bigger kick on the price even though it's just cosmetic damage.

Back
Top Bottom