Notebook TV Tuner Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack

Baseband Member
Hey all,

I'm looking for a good notebook tv tuner card. I'm mainly wanting to use it to plug my Xbox 360 into so I can use my laptop as my "TV". I'm looking for something that isn't too terribly spensive. My system specs are:

2GB RAM
256MB NVidia GeForce 8400M GS
WinVista x86
AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-64

Thanks a bunch!

Using your laptop as a 360 screen via a TV tuner isn't a good idea. The Xbox can output HD, but not through the inputs that TV cards often use, so you'll get a low quality SD image. Also, TV cards usually have a delay, so your reflexes will be off, possibly interfering with gameplay. I use my capture card for recording Xbox 360, but I always play on a regular screen (VGA monitor or TV). If you do decide to get a TV card, HP's ExpressCard tuner isn't bad (made by Hauppage, the people who make WinTV boards). It is a digital/analog tuner with S-Video and Composite (possibly component with a different plug, some programs show component as an input option).

I know about delays and all that...and it is possible to get cards with HD inputs, yes? Even if I get a low quality SD image its not going to be any different from TV since I don't have an HD TV...either way I'd still prefer to play on the computer screen. Thanks for the advice, though. That being said, anyone know any good cards besides the HP one? :D I like to keep my options open.

HD inputs yes. For a laptop card. Maybe not. TV Tuner cards for a PC have some that have HD inputs. But since a laptop has limited space and you have to use the cards you dont have that many options as you would on a PC.

Check NewEgg or Tiger Direct.

Looks like a small version of the HP one to me, it has the exact same inputs. If you don't have an RGB (component) input, you won't get HD. It says HD because it can tune HD over-the-air and cable (digital antenna, digital cable) signals, but it doesn't have any HD video inputs. The only inputs it has (same as the HP one I have, exact same external port and cord) are S-Video and Composite (yellow) with left/right audio.

The ones with HD video inputs (component or otherwise) are usually really expensive.

Thanks for the thoughts. Anyone know any cards that have HD inputs? Or is there anything that has a VGA input?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom