Notebook suggestions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2007, 11:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Notebook suggestions

Hey folks i was just goin to ask for some opinions on getting a new laptop.. im about to start school and i got 1700 USD to spend and was looking for some suggestions for someone who isnt a hardcore game player but does play some and does run alot of programs and for one that should be reliable for school
ive looked at dells hp's alienware and toshibas to date

thank u ahead of time

Old 07-31-2007, 01:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: Notebook suggestions

Alienwares are overpriced, especially since you are a lightgamer.
Don't know much about Toshibas.

I recommend the Dell 1520.
If not that the HP dv6500t (i think that's the right model)

Get at least a Core 2 T7100, 2 gigs of RAM, 8400m gs (the Dell has an option for an 8600m gt).

<br><br><font color=\"black\"><b>There's No Place Like </b></font><font color=\"red\"><b></b></font><br>
Old 07-31-2007, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Try again!
Send a message via AIM to motoxer4533 Send a message via MSN to motoxer4533

Toshiba Satellites are good, as well as most of the Dell models. You can usually customize most, if not all of the models on the manufactuer's website, so you have some flexibility there.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

HP is the best in my opinion
Old 07-31-2007, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

toshiba: media
asus: gaming
dell: covers all bases bu not especially good at any of them
hp: buisiness
acer: well mine is very reliable and has been through a lot plus numerous attempts by me to test it to destruction including chucking it out of a 2nd storey window and it powered up again straight after without a glitch but there newer travelmate's are suppose to be prone with problems
Old 08-03-2007, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

I'd go for a HP notebook.

Customer service is good, they have an excellent collect and drop warranty repair programme and their online HP replacement parts store provides you with an impressive inventory of parts for your HP notebook.

I bought an HP Compaq NX7300 (Business Notebook) at the start of the year, and used it to the end of college. Very satisfied. Good quality, easy to carry, and superb battery life too, especially with an 8-cell.

HP have many business notebooks with varying specs, and they recently released a bunch of new notebooks in their 'balanced mobility' range. You'll find that their more pricier business notebooks have more powerful nvidia / ati graphics, as opposed to Intel GMA graphics.

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 08-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

For you I Would DEFINITELY suggest a IBM Laptop!!! they ARE GREAT Business Laptops, and they seem to have alright quality gaming. jut be sure you check what type of graphics card it has... lol...

IBM United States
Old 08-03-2007, 11:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

ok.... probably not much of a gaming laptop... i take that back.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I would reccomend a falcon northwest fragbook. They are like what alienware used to be before dell took them over (or what I heard alienware was like anyway)
Falcon Northwest Computer Systems, The Ultimate Gaming PCs.
On a budget I wouldn't go with the fragbook DRX since that one is more or less a desktop that fits on your lap.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

CyberPower, Inc - building the best Gaming PC is not only our profession, it is our obsession.

THey are cheap and their warranty is great. I have bought my last 4 comps from them. you can configure EVERYTHING.

with that kind of money you will get a top of the line laptop, even 17' monitor if thats what you are after.

Closed Thread