Notebook for Class suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Therow

Baseband Member
Hey Tech-Forums,

You guys are awesome! So i thought i would ask for some suggestions on the type of notebooks i should be looking at based on my "wants" and what is practical for the cheapest price :p

Wants-

I would love a notebook that runs quiet, and very cool. Heat seems to be an issue with laptops and notebooks, at least in all of the cases where i have purchased or used them. Screen is not an issue, as i primarily want this notebook for writing notes during a class lecture. So battery power is a must! At least 2.5 hours! I would also be using it to surf the web, maybe download or watch movies. Internet only, though DVD's are standard now a days. Games, well, those would be something of an issue, as i consider myself a gamer.

I dont want this to be a gaming platform so maybe ill just use some older games on this one :p (portable floppy drive anyone!? Not really ... but old games :D) Flash games? who knows, something to do if class is boring! TEXT based games!? Hehe, but not the primary focus of this notebook at all ;)

Anyways, feedback or w/e is great!

Peace out!

What is your budget?

If you want something that will last you for hours on battery, look at Lenovo. They are known to have superb battery life.

I was suggested this one earlier, and it looks good for your needs:
Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5552-3036 NoteBook AMD Athlon II Dual-Core P340(2.20GHz) 15.6" 3GB Memory 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

I am not sure about heat in any of those, but you can get a laptop pad. I use this one on my old dell, cools well. Doesn't heat up your lap.
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Ixoft Fanless Notebook Cooling Pad Model R15ON01

Newegg.com - ASUS UL20 Series UL20FT-A1 NoteBook Intel Core i3 330UM(1.20GHz) 12.1" 2GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 5400rpm Intel GMA HD

If you want a full laptop the Asus UL20FT would be my first pick. It only weighs 3.3lbs but has a Core i3 processor so it should be more than powerful enough for what you need. It's also advertised to have 6 hours of battery life but I would expect it to be a bit lower than that in the real world.

If you want something cheaper it may be worth considering a netbook since you can get them for ~$400 with plenty of battery life.

What is your budget?

If you want something that will last you for hours on battery, look at Lenovo. They are known to have superb battery life.

I was suggested this one earlier, and it looks good for your needs:
Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5552-3036 NoteBook AMD Athlon II Dual-Core P340(2.20GHz) 15.6" 3GB Memory 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

I am not sure about heat in any of those, but you can get a laptop pad. I use this one on my old dell, cools well. Doesn't heat up your lap.
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Ixoft Fanless Notebook Cooling Pad Model R15ON01

My budget is around 400$ -- Does that non-fan-cooler thing work!? If it works well then its FRIKING awesome!

@ Puddle, i looked into the netbooks, like 15 hrs of life? WTF!? Way sweet!

Are the netbooks good at surfing the web and stuff? Maybe some game stuff? mmmm flash games or what have you ... Word doc stuff :p

I think you are a little extreme, no? :lol:

That cooler works good. My dad has one on his Toshiba, too. You know how hot those things can get. He gets a warm lap, but not uncomfortable.

Netbooks are good for anything non-intensive. I have one myself. I use it for surfing when on vacation or away from my home, Word documents, flash games, etc. Windows 7 didn't work well on it and XP was old school. I have Ubuntu on mine atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom