Note taking app development - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Old 05-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Note taking app development

Hey guys I'm new to the site, and therefore don't know if this is the right forum to post this in, but I figured it's pretty close to what I'm looking for. Anyways, I am a freshman in college, and looking for a solution to a problem that probably doesn't bother a whole lot of people, but It does me. I just got a Sony Vaio SVD 11, and I love it. It's great for everything I've asked it to do so far. However, one thing I didn't really consider when I bought it was how difficult it was to type on it. It has a rather compressed keyboard, and no wrist rest. And while the pen is incredibly accurate with the screen, I just can't keep up with how fast some of my professors teach. What I would really like to do, with the help of some incredibly smart person or group, is develop an app specifically made for taking notes. And I would like to make it a two part system, in which I could mount a high quality webcam on the top of the device and record the lecture, while at the same time taking notes by either typing or writing. I would also like to be able to have a feature in which I could press a button, and a highlight marker would be placed on that section of the video. If that's not clear, let's say the professor talks for 30 minutes about the laws of thermodynamics. This would all be recorded with the webcam. During this time that he is talking, I would press the button, say maybe for 15 seconds, and a highlight would be taken of what he says. I know this is not going to be a small feat, but if there is anyone out there that could do it, I would love to hear from you. Thank you for reading to this point, and please let me know if you can help.

TheMindOfAndr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: Note taking app development

Unless I have misunderstood what you are looking for Microsoft OneNote already does exactly what you want. It supports written notes as well as video and synchronizes the two so you can see what you wrote to go with a certain section of video. If you don't have access to a copy already through your school I would go ahead and go for Office 2013 just to have the best Windows 8 compatibility.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote

application, custom, development, notes, ultrabook