No display in monitor HP DV6700

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruski4

Beta member
Hello, I'll make this brief. I took the notebook apart because it was overheating. I took out the crappy thermal pads and cleaned off the paste with alcohol. I applied Thermal Paste called Formula 5 (An Arctic Silver 5 knock off). I reassembled the laptop and everything was working fine except for the power supply wasn't working. (I was in a hurry putting it back together.) I took it apart, made sure the power supply was working and then reassembled it. Now, the lights come on but the display for the monitor doesn't come up.

I tried to see if any wires were tangled but everything seemed to be fine. I did some research and found that most of the time this is a problem of the gpu overheating. Would this be the case if I just added thermal paste and It was just working the day before? (I did use it until it ran out of battery but that shouldn't make much of a difference.) I also heard that you should always have some kind of thermal pad over the gpu, I ordered some copper shims to put over both the cpu and the gpu. Is this going to do the trick? I did not see any bubbles in the paste around the gpu and I don't think it is destroyed. Will the shims do the trick? Do I have to reflow the gpu? I have no experience reflowing. So much for brief, ha. Thanks.

Ok, before you do anything else, please check your monitors inverters connections.
Make sure it is properly connected and screwed in where it's not over tightning the mobo.
Plug in external monitor to see if you get any display, if you do the screen is bad...
If you don't get anything to display on both laptop or monitor your mobo maybe dead....
However... if you can find another used one on ebay or amazon.com they should be easy to replace also I would look into changing out your cpu just in case it got fried. ;)

Let me know if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom