New To The Site but need assistance! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2017, 02:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default New To The Site but need assistance!

So I just received a used laptop from my father, he was going to trash it because it doesn't have a battery but still works plugged in. I wiped the computer and all its content, the only things installed is Avast, League Of Legends, Discord and CCleaner.

Specs:
Intel Core2 CPU T5500 @1.66GHz
4.0GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro FAX 350M
Windows 10

The issue that I am running in to is that everything is loading rather slowly, scrolling takes a bit, opening Firefox takes a bit to load I ran a full Virus Scan, and used CCleaner and I'm still having the issue of my computer running slow. Could anyone assist me on finding a solution? (LoL is laggy and loads slowly as well)

Any help is appreciated!

Meerkhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

»\_(ツ)_/»

Default Re: New To The Site but need assistance!

Check your startup items (MSCONFIG or with CCleaner) and turn off anything unnecessary. That may help.

The hard drive is probably a 5400rpm which are dog crap slow no matter what. Moving to an SSD will make a world of difference.

As an aside, you can find OEM batteries on eBay fairly cheap (if you want to be able to go portable).

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: New To The Site but need assistance!

There is no more solutions, only clean instal, of possible OS partition not more than 100 -110 GB, if possible, use x86, ie 32-bit Windows and be very-very patient.
This PC is simply very old, there is two core processor, but the frequency is so slow.
I have here one similar, the same processor etc. Yes, it works, but You must be patient, carefully clean it, ie cache files, junk files, obsolete registry entries etc.
Also is needed very good defrag, if You have HDD drive. If somebody have installed SSD, then it is a bit faster.
So - the best solution is to buy newer as soon as possible.
kalju is offline   Reply With Quote