New Laptops not XP conpatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrYpToNiC

Solid State Member
So when I went to buy my new laptop at best buy it came with Vista. Which Is alright but It doesn't have everything worked out yet and I am more comfortable with XP any ways. Anyways, The guys at best buy said that If i tried to install XP it wouldn't work. Well I of course had to see for myself. So when I got home I tried to install XP and when it was going through the CD boot process the error came up with "No hard drive is present" or something along those lines. So I re installed Vista and It worked fine. What could this problem be? Are the newer laptops really only compatable with Vista? Ohh and I also installed Fedora Core 7 with no problems.

Thanks in advance
KrYpToNiC

Hello,

It's very likely that you're having a SATA driver issue. Virtually all modern laptops today have SATA hard drives, and Windows XP doesn't come with SATA drivers.

If this is the issue, there are two possible solutions:

The first solution is to disable SATA Native Mode (or a similar option) in your BIOS if available, allowing your hard drive to be detected, and for you to be able to install Windows XP. However, the disadvantage is the performance degradation, since SATA native mode is disabled.

The second solution is to obtain the correct SATA driver for your hard drive, and install it during the Windows XP setup procedure by pressing F6 when prompted. Instructions here: HEXUS.net - Guide :: Installing Windows XP with a 3rd party SATA/RAID driver : Page - 1/1 .

It's also possible to install a SATA driver when booted into Windows XP after performing the first solution (which is what I did), however it can be difficult, since driver installers and Windows XP device manager doesn't know a SATA hard drive is present, since SATA native mode is disabled. A guide outlining this procedure, but for Intel SATA controllers only, is available here: My Tech Blog: Enabling SATA Native Mode after XP Install .

yeah, had the same problem with my Acer Aspire 4710Z, but i got this guy i know thats a genius to make me a copy of XP with the SATA drivers in it, now i have driver problems, but even without sound and the internet on it its still better than Vista, i hate vista :p

so yeah, as Alvin.C said, the disk with the drivers on it is a good solution :) i dunno about the other solution, haven't tried it nor have i heard of it. but im sue it works, anyway, good luck with your laptop.

Thanks,
Vincent-Valentine

I know how to fix internet and sound, Id have every problem possible along sound and internet and overcome them, some solutions are right in front of your eyes, wats your internet and sound problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom