New laptop HD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default New laptop HD

I've never installed a new HD in a laptop, though I'm pretty sure I can figure it out. I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 now, and am just curious as to if I need a specific type of laptop HD.

This is the one I'm looking at now: Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - Laptop Hard Drives

Thanks.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: New laptop HD

Just ensure it is the same as your current hard drive (in terms of PATA or SATA). Other then that just make sure it is a laptop (2.5'') hard drive.

Do note that when you take the old drive out more than likely there will be an adapter on the old hard drive that allows it to interface with the laptop. If so you'll need to take that off and place it on the new hard drive.

Other than those two issues, laptop hard drive replacement is easlier than a drive replacement in a desktop IMO.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks. In terms of keeping my data, there is a drive on my comp labeled "HP RECOVERY (D)" about 8 gb in size. Is this a separate HD I can copy my OS files onto the new HD with or part of the same one? Or, I guess there is a way to check that myself?
Old 11-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

No, it is the same hard drive, just a separate partition. More than likely it is taken up by the recovery software/data anyways.

The HP recovery partition is to set the hard drive back to its original state (software, data, etc).

I would suggest burning all data to a new DVD/USB so that you can copy it back to the new hard drive after installation.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok, well I wanted to back up my data and do a clean install of the OS on the new HD, only problem is HP never sent me any OS discs with my laptop. Is this something they will fix easily (eg send me a disc) or am I better off avoiding a headache and just copying everything?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Depends on your situation. If you have a physical copy of your OS and software packages you use I would suggest just backing up your data and reformatting. Then install the software and restore the data.

If you have nothing you really have no choice but to contact the manf. for a resource CD which will have the OS and software on it. They usually can do this but it will cost you (usually around 10 - 20 bucks).
Old 12-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok, thanks Lex.

Closed Thread