New laptop

Skorpian

In Runtime
Hello everyone.
Alright, there was a thread I made earlier about laptops but I didn't buy one yet because of some reasons.
I think I have it narrowed down to the following selections :
Dell inspiron n5520 ( Graphics card ATI radeon 7670M )
HP Pavilion DV6-6C45Se ( Graphics card ATI Radeon 7690M XT )
Acer Aspire 5755G ( Graphics card GT 540M )
This is the website I'll be likely to buy from its shop. I want something expensive no more than 5000 EGP.
Buy online in Egypt from Computer Shop Egypt | Laptops | Printers | Tablets | laptop | lenovo | samsung | hp | printer
If there's anything better in my budget, please suggest.
Thanks in advance and all help is appreciated.

Honestly, just based on the brands and the price range I would go with the Acer. HP's consumer line, as well as Dell's, well... They suck, to be quite honest.

While the 7670m is slightly better then the 540m, as is the 7690m, the performance difference doesn't matter much. Is it safe to assume you'll be gaming, since you pointed out the GPU's in each one? That's why I say the GPU's won't make too big of a difference, as they are all weak and even on low res screens you'll have to be on medium settings to get playable frame rates. I couldn't find the Dell model you were talking about. Link? The HP and Acer are identical, bar the GPU. Like I said, the GPU won't make that big of a difference, so you might as well go with the better company.

Thanks for the help. But I thought the 7690M XT was much better than the GT 540M.
Yes, I'll be using it for gaming. Heavy gaming, like Crysis and so.
Are you sure that Acer laptop is good? I've seen some reviews which don't view it at amazing, and its build quality seems to be so-so.
Are Dell and HP really that crappy? So if I buy a laptop from one of them it's safe to assume that 99% it'll be crap?

Thanks for the help. But I thought the 7690M XT was much better than the GT 540M.

While the 7670m is slightly better then the 540m, as is the 7690m, the performance difference doesn't matter much.

Sorry, but you won't be playing Crysis on that.

I have an Acer myself. it is rather good. A few years ago I would have said no, but their latest stuff is pretty hardcore. Where are you reading these reviews from? Newegg reviews are so biased. Look at professional reviews. And don't look at one site. Google is your friend.

As TJ said and I agree, their consumer level laptops sucks, not the entire company. The business level are quite nice. Elitebook (HP), Vostro (Dell)

Sorry, but why can't I be playing Crysis on those? I saw videos on youtube on the weakest GPU of them ( GT 540 M ) of Crysis running at pretty good fps with nice graphics too.
Is the Acer aspire 5755g a new laptop? I think it's a few years old, which doesn't make it " new and hardcore ".
Oh and if you can check the website and recommend other laptops, please do.

By "latest stuff", I mean their 2nd gen i3/i5/i7 line.

My guess, is that my model (in my sig) being a 5750, is very close to your Acer 5755 selection. So it may not be new on the market, but it is still considered new in terms of what they have out for Aspires these days.

Going with what TJ said, I'm not too sure you can play Crisis on it. It may play yes, but no doubt it is on very low settings.

I'd lean towards the HP. I setup a lot of new PC's and laptops and in the past year I've seen Dell's quality dropping while HP seems rock solid. I went with the DV7T myself.

I'd lean towards the HP. I setup a lot of new PC's and laptops and in the past year I've seen Dell's quality dropping while HP seems rock solid. I went with the DV7T myself.

Numbers don't lie. maybe you got a good HP unit, but the vast majority of consumers are having problem on top of problem with HP laptops as of late. Dell consumer lappy's have always been bad. Not to mention the fact that HP's customer service is bad. Bad units+bad customer service = Something that I cannot recommend. As we have stated several times in multiple threads, we do not recommend HP/Dell consumer lines. The business models are good, but we won't recommend a consumer model. Reading is your friend.

On average HP's "problems per 100 units" is bad. Unfortunately playing the statistics game isn't a granular enough way to find the good units. That's why I specifically mentioned the DV7T. It has a very good track record and high satisfaction rate. You can't just say "company bad" and lump in every single model...the different laptops have completely different engineering teams etc... Reading IS your friend, do more of it.

On average HP's "problems per 100 units" is bad. Unfortunately playing the statistics game isn't a granular enough way to find the good units. That's why I specifically mentioned the DV7T. It has a very good track record and high satisfaction rate. You can't just say "company bad" and lump in every single model...the different laptops have completely different engineering teams etc... Reading IS your friend, do more of it.

Really? Guess what. The Dv7 has a 50% failure rate. Unacceptable. Yes, I can play the statistics game with HP because all of the statistics agree with me. HP for the past few years has had many problems. The DV7 is actually one of their worst models to date. I DO read. Part of my job is to keep up on tech. I read A LOT. Like I said before; You got a good unit. Congrats! But if you look at the big picture and others experiences, HP isn't good.

Back
Top Bottom