new labtop

Status
Not open for further replies.

pts2800

In Runtime
its time for me to get a new labtop. i am running a stock dell inspiron 5100, back in the day it was decent, but now it is old and decrepid, and it cant even do what it could do back in the day. so enough blabering, i dont want to get another dell labtop, i wanted to get a diffrent brand, from ibuypower or ibuypower or something.

my mom doesent trust these brands (she only trust dells) and she is the one who is buying the labtop,(i am 17 so i dont get much money). are the computers and parts of these two brands good quality? and how would they compair to dell.

i got my desktop for games like cod4 bf2 and stuff, but i go to boarding school so i dont get to use it much, and my laptop cant even handle star craft without overheating. so it would be nice to have something that can play some games.

well i have always know you could update a dell, i guess what i am really asking is if cyberpower and ibuypower and good quality and dependable machines, and are the warrentys good

ASUS Lamborghini ;) sexy as **** and say it has reliability of a supercar.............. worth a try they are also quite cheap for the components you get.

If your laptop is a little slower then before use the repair disk to reinstall windows. Will get a massive performance boost until you layer it with crud again

i dont want to get another dell labtop, i wanted to get a diffrent brand.

Since mom is the one buying, I would suggest you stick with her choice (unless you can convince her otherwise). Dell doesn't always suck. Look into their business line. They are built to a much higher standard than consumer notebooks, so they will last a heck of a lot longer. They also have a higher resale/residual value because of this reason- so they really are smarter buys. Look into the Latitudes or the Precisions if you have the money. Vostros are a good option if you have a budget (you can get more bang for your buck compared to Inspirons). Last time I checked, you can build a Dell Vostro 1500 notebook with a C2D processor and 8600M GT graphics for about $800.

my mom doesent trust these brands (she only trust dells) and she is the one who is buying the labtop,(i am 17 so i dont get much money). are the computers and parts of these two brands good quality? and how would they compair to dell.

I wouldn't trust IBuyPower and CyberPower either. Your mom has impeccable mothers instinct. These two places have a VERY bad reputation (see notebookreview.com forums), mostly for slow shipping/build times and horrible customer service. There was a time way back when they were a great alternative to Dell, but that time has passed. I see a lot of people here recommending them, but I say avoid them. If you want a customized/rebranded Asus (if that's what they are still selling), get one elsewhere, or just buy a pre-built one from a reputable reseller like NewEgg (I think you can also get pre-built IBuyPower notebooks from NewEgg too, which would probably be a smarter choice than buying from IBuyPower themselves).

i got my desktop for games like cod4 bf2 and stuff, but i go to boarding school so i dont get to use it much, and my laptop cant even handle star craft without overheating. so it would be nice to have something that can play some games.

That's probably the most economically smart way to do things. It's much cheaper to both build a high-end gaming desktop and buy a non-gaming notebook than it is to buy a high-end gaming notebook. That's what I do.

But when you start going to college, you might learn that it's more convenient to have your gaming and non-gaming in one mobile package, though it's a bit more expensive. So do consider replacing your desktop and laptop with a gaming laptop if you have a large enough budget.

If you can convince your mom to get a non-Dell, take a look at the new HP Pavilions. I'm very happy with mine. I would recommend you customize an HP Pavilion DV6500T (15.4") or DV2500T (14.1") with dedicated graphics (it's not that expensive). The build quality is probably among the best when it comes to consumer notebooks (they are very solid and have a very durable cell-phone-like finish), and they also have stunning design.

Another option is an Asus from NewEgg or any other trustworthy reseller. You can get several new models with dedicated 8***M graphics. Asus has excellent build quality and customers are extremely happy with them. In fact, knowledgeable people who buy Asus's are more likely to be return customers than any other notebook brand. If I had to get a notebook today, I would probably order the Asus F9 (it's a 12" ultra portable with dedicated graphics!- not many out there). But there are other models like the F3 and V2 which are a bit larger.

So:

Dell Vostro 1400 or 1500
(best bang for your buck, and it's still a Dell, so mom will be happy)

HP Pavilion DV6500T or DV2500T
(nice looking, nice performing, nicely built notebooks, and it's HP so your mom probably trusts them too)

Asus F3 or V2 or F9
(great quality and performance)

Good luck on your new notebook (and good luck convincing your mom to think outside of the Dell brand)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom