New GTX 970M

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M - NotebookCheck.net Tech
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Looks like the 970M is quite a step up from the 870M. Depends on how much they are vs your 870M, and honestly depends on what games you will be playing.

Also, good choice on going with MSI :p.

I went with MSI because of you and the other reviews. I am thinking I will return the one I ordered and pay the difference for the newer one. From my research it is a pretty solid gain. I like to play a wide range of games.

Also it isn't like I need the machine today so I can wait for the new one to hit retailers.

If you get another GS series, you'll have to let me know how well they keep cool.

I keep going with the GT series because they're a bit larger and seem have have better airflow - plus it has the CoolerBooster option :lol:.

970m is going to take less power than 870m for sure so that wouldn't be an issue. I couldn't imagine MSI not supporting an MXM upgrade later.

970m is going to take less power than 870m for sure so that wouldn't be an issue. I couldn't imagine MSI not supporting an MXM upgrade later.

Seems like a lot of times you need to mod the vBIOS, and sometimes the actual BIOS. That's how it's been with both of my laptops at least if you want to go from the stock card to another one that's a series above.

Have you tried any newer laptops?

Last one I looked at to see what I could upgrade was my GT780DX, which had a Sandybridge i7 and a 570m. Wasn't much for upgrades for it without a vBIOS mod and a hacked BIOS because it wasn't an Optimus-enabled laptop. Can't say I've looked into upgrading after that since I just got my GT70 2OC.

I guess that's one thing I can give Eurocom credit for. You don't need to go through hoops to upgrade to SLI/Crossfire or simply upgrade period. If I bought a laptop it would definitely be from them. Not the prettiest, but definitely easy to clean and work on or upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom